Kegerator For Built In Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abjones116

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm in the process of building a home right now with plans for a built-in bar. The counter and cabinet is going to be custom but what I want is to have a nice seamless draft system for my homebrew.

What makes this interesting is I am new to kegging and all that goes with it. Doing a lot of research from the forums and online but just a novice.

I am looking at picking up a few ball lock kegs (iused). I am only looking for the bar to handle two beers on tap at any point. Ideally, I'd like to have the kegerators underneath the countertop with the tower on top. I am a bit handy but I am also not opposed to anything that is prebuilt to suit what we're looking for.

I have been looking at some online stores that sell kegerators and some are specifically for underneath the countertop however, those are pretty expensive. Is that something I need to stick with or can I get away with a cheaper kegerator to suit the same purpose. The back of the bar isn't visible to only who is standing behind it, so the look at that part I'm not too concerned about. My biggest concern is a clean look on the top portion of the countertop.

Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated.

Similar boat here- I'm planning on building a cold box under the bar backside, using a mini/dorm fridge turned 90 degrees (so it can vent under dead space under the bar back). Haven't figured out precise dimensions yet, but planning on sizing to four kegs + the fridge space for mixers/etc.

Something like the attached, with some mods.

Bar Layout.jpg

Similar boat here- I'm planning on building a cold box under the bar backside, using a mini/dorm fridge turned 90 degrees (so it can vent under dead space under the bar back). Haven't figured out precise dimensions yet, but planning on sizing to four kegs + the fridge space for mixers/etc.

Something like the attached, with some mods.

Pretty much what I am looking at doing, I just am not sure of the equipment I need to do to make a nice clean look while trying to get atleast two taps on the bar (one tower or two, doesn't really matter in that respect).

Buy a used commercial brand kegerator off CL. Thats where I got mine for $300 virtually unused and in perfect condition. Commercial brands like True or Beverage Air are much better units than the ones you get off of web like Summit or Dansby. These commercial units vent in the back so you cant really undermount them in an enclosed area but you can do something like what I did (see pics). I just left an open slot for the kegerator when building my back bar and it sits about 4 inches from the back of the wall to allow it to vent. It looks fine IMO.

8.jpg

10.jpg

Reviving an old thread... I was curious if dkennedy or anyone else has tried his suggestion of taking the door off a mini fridge or freezer to act as the cooler for a larger area to place the kegs... I'm in the same boat as the OP in that kegerators in my area are scarce and tend towards the spend side, not to mention I want to upgrade to perlicks and stainless fittings etc...

Reviving an old thread... I was curious if dkennedy or anyone else has tried his suggestion of taking the door off a mini fridge or freezer to act as the cooler for a larger area to place the kegs... I'm in the same boat as the OP in that kegerators in my area are scarce and tend towards the spend side, not to mention I want to upgrade to perlicks and stainless fittings etc...

Sorry about the delay, I was going to reply but needed to resolve an issue with the bar first.
I went ahead with this, first with an old (20+ year old) mini freezer that I found on Craigslist (where else can you find a mini upright freezer?). It worked OK, then hit tons of frosting / thawing / condensation issues...not so fun. When the freezer died, I put in a new Fridge/Freezer combo (the freezer is a proper box of it's own) and it's doing better- just had it defrost on me which made a mess. The space that it's cooling is likely the issue- I wanted space enough for 6+ cornies (so that I can chill the 3 on tap, plus age 1-2, and store bottles). I have a good-sized fan inside the coldbox, and a smaller one helping to move air across the fridge unit (drive off heat)- both have helped performance, but it's tough to get to 40 degrees or less.

Frankly, I still love the idea, but if I could do it again then I would figure out a way to use a chest freezer and still have the coffin box on top of that, this has been a bit of a pain. I may still convert it, we'll see.

So i like the concept and so well i went a head and ordered my freezer on amazon... i ordered a Midea WHS-109F Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer, 3.0 Cubic Feet, White... i was planning on building a bar in the basement any way so ill have to build a bit more framework is all... my plan is to use a diy spray foam kit to insulate and seal as well as rigid foam insulation...

Do you think you are well enough insulated (how thick or whats your estimated r value? Well enough sealed did you caulk your seams? How big is your space?

I used a commercial under counter fridge. If I ever get around to adding door panels to the front of the fridge it will blend right in.It holds 3 cornys or a half barrel. Its rear breathing and thought it might be a problem but no issues.So an under counter fridge is worth looking into.

untitled.png

Shust your pics didnt come through...

Johnny, i looked at those but didnt find any that really floated my boat... i was gonna build the wet bar eventually anyway so i figure for the insulation, keg setup and freezer ill be into it for about 700...

Latest posts

Back