kegerator cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
Considering I’m a poor college student I don’t want to drop any more money then I have to. Therefore I was thinking I could use the corny keg as my kegerator cleaning kit. I would add oxyclean and water to the corny then add pressure and flow it through. Then I would do the same with no rinse sanitizer. Do you think this will work?

I actually use a bar line cleaning product, but that's the basic idea. I fill a keg with cleaning solution, then connect each tap and run it 5 secs. I have a baby bottle nipple brush I use to scrub the nozzle on the tap. Then I wait 15 minutes and run a couple quarts out. Wait again and repeat until all of the solution has been used.

Then I rinse out the keg & fill it with hot rinse water and run that. I use the last of the CO2 to blow out the lines.

david_42 said:
I actually use a bar line cleaning product, but that's the basic idea. I fill a keg with cleaning solution, then connect each tap and run it 5 secs. I have a baby bottle nipple brush I use to scrub the nozzle on the tap. Then I wait 15 minutes and run a couple quarts out. Wait again and repeat until all of the solution has been used.

Then I rinse out the keg & fill it with hot rinse water and run that. I use the last of the CO2 to blow out the lines.
I agree on the bar line cleaning product. I prefer PBW. Bar cleaning products are meant to do what you are tasking them with, while Oxyclean isn't.

Yes, they cost more, but they also give you much more bang for your buck.

Don't do what I just did this past weekend. I use a cobra tap and cleaned the line by taking off the pour trigger and the poppet valve on the keg side. When I got done, I put it all together and of course there was a little water left inside the line. So, in my infinite wisdom, I locked the cobra tap in the full open position so it could help "air out" until my next drinking session with a new keg. Well, wouldn't you just know it, I totally forgot about that the following weekend. I went to tap the keg and as soon as I did, fresh brew came pouring out of the cobra tap onto the floor. What a mess.

Latest posts

Back