Kegerator build questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I just got my hands on fairly new 9.6 cu. ft.Whirlpool Top Freezer Refrigerator (Model ET0MSRXTQ) for absolutely nothing! It's what they call and apartment sized refrigerator, so its not too big, but I figured out that it could hold two 5-gallon and tow 2.5-gallon kegs in it (if I put the co2 cylinder outside). The smaller kegs would fit in the back and the larger up front.

I'm planning to install at least 3 taps thru the door. I haven't decided which taps to buy yet but, I'm between Perlick and Intertap. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Is it best to buy the tap and shank parts together, meaning match the manufacturer or just buy the shank parts separately, which seems cheaper.

My other question is about tubing. I'm currently using a Danby Mini frig and I'm unhappy with the CO2 tubing that I used because it gets very stiff when its cold. Does anyone know of any tubing that can be used for the CO2 lines that doesn't get too stiff? Also does anyone know a good source for flexible beer tubing as well?

As for my old Danby frig, I'm planning to give it to a young struggling beer brewer that I know who's also very short on cash.

I have Perlick 630ss taps and love them. Never owned any intertaps so cant speak to those. I just bought standard issue shanks for my setup and have never had any issues with them. Are Perlick or Intertap shanks better? Probably. The threads are probably cut nicer, theyre probably more precisely made, etc. That being said, I doubt you'll notice a difference between the high shanks and "normal" ones.

Do you have a picture of the Co2 and beer lines that you use?

I use Perlick 650 SS flow control taps and find them invaluable to reduce foaming issues.

I use Kegconnection and have found Zack (ask for him) to be very helpful and able to walk you thru your specific needs. They carry shanks the length you may need, beer lines, faucets, clamps, barbs... etc.

EDIT: They carry a new PVC Free CO2 line and it stays flexible when cold and very easy to use. I rigged my new 5 tap unit with this line.

Latest posts

Back