Keg vs. Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirtyfour41

Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question, because it probably is :)

I'm new to the hobby, but I was wondering...

Why can't I just leave my brew in the keg to carbonate and drink it out of there, rather than bottling it? I mean, I did bottle it because it's easier storage in my fridge for one, but I'm curious if there's something about the change of container that allows it to carbonate.

Thanks!

You can carbonate your beer in the keg. Just prime as you normally would for bottling. But you'll need CO2 to push the beer out eventually. Plus, unless you plan on drinking all 5 gallons at one shot your beer will go flat if you don't use CO2.

You can carbonate your beer in the keg. Just prime as you normally would for bottling. But you'll need CO2 to push the beer out eventually. Plus, unless you plan on drinking all 5 gallons at one shot your beer will go flat if you don't use CO2.

makes sense about the co2. i didn't think about that. so technically, if i planned on throwing a party i could carbonate it in the keg (or some sort of container with a spout) and drink it out of there? i only 2 gallons at the moment, and though i don't plan on drinking it all in one shot, it was just a question i forgot to ask the home brew store yesterday.

:tank:

Are you talking about the "Mr Beer" keg? If you are; it won't work. The lid has slots in it to vent co2. If you are talking about a "Corny" keg; then yes, you can carbonate in it.

Back