Keg Volume Marks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody do this? I'm having one of those "clear out the keg, for tomorrow's brew day, and the fermenter needs to be ready" kinda nights. I did the whole take-it-out-of-the-fridge-for-a-bit-to-see-where-the-cold-liquid-comes-up-to thing and estimated that there's prolly only about 1 liter left. I'm at 1.5 liters right now, and seemed to be still a bit more left yet. So just wondering if anybody's ever marked up a keg in this way?

I have exactly the same method, but mine's way different. After filling the keg I know there's (give or take a couple ounces) about five gallons in there. When the faucet makes a PPCCCCFFFFF-BLLLRRRGGGEERR-FCHCHCHRRRR sound while filling a glass that tells me there is nothing left in the keg.

I sometimes use a cheap digital fish scale to weigh my keg to get a ballpark volume. I know that you're in Norway and use metric, but I figure 1 oz = 1.1 fluid oz (or maybe vice versa, it's been a while since I've done this). Works pretty well. I've always been +/- one pint using that method.

I have weighed the keg empty and full. Now I just wait until I here the sound floppyknockers described.

Back