Keg to Bottle #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasRed

Reaction score
I have a question that I think has been posted before but I could not find it. First off, thanks for all the advice with brewing. I have polished off my first batch of a St Arnolds Amber clone.

I have gone ahead with the kegging system so everything has been pretty easy. I now want to enter a contest where you need to supply at least 3 bottles for judging.

My question is, can I fill the bottles directly from the keg once it has been force carbonated with the CO2 or do I need to prime the batch after it has been in the secondary, bottle it, then keg? If I prime, bottle, then Keg, I assume that I will still need to supply CO2 to the keg.

With my current batch, I did try to bottle some directly from the keg but they ended up going flat. I am not sure if the cap wasn’t sealed properly though. Any advice on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Finishing: St Arnolds Amber Ale Clone (Home brew first batch)
Primary: Thrill House Imperial IPA
Secondary: Oktoberfest Style

Without a CP filler, I would:
1. Get the keg colder
2. increase CO2 a couple of #s (couple of days to increase carb level & make up for lost CO2 during transfer)
3. Chill/freeze bottles
4. Put a piece of tubing over the end of your tap,long enough to reach the bottom of bottle.
5. Decrease CO2 pressure to 2 - 3psi.
6. Fill & cap chilled bottles.
7. Let sit in fridge overnight and dink one! (Test for proper CO2 level)

Good luck on the Comp!!!

:mug:

should he fill to the top of the bottle or leave some headspace? I've yet to try and bottle from the tap but I do want to experiment low tech.

Leave the normal headspace..

Ideally it should be slightly overcarbed as you fill the bottle.
The headspace will outgas some of the CO2.

Besides, why give the judges something to wonder about??

:mug:

Back