Keg tastes off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finlayj

Reaction score
I've had a keg of Scottish Ale in my kegerator since September. Recently it has begun to taste off, tested by both friends and I.

I'm putting a new keg of apfelwein in today and will clean the lines and taps.

Do we think its the beer or the lines? I know its a simple matter of trying it, but if the lines became contaminated would it lead back into the keg?

There is about a 1/3 of the keg I'm attempting to save.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Is it "off" as in aged, and stale? Or "off" like from having the lines contaminated?

If you're not sure, you could try using a picnic tap and fresh line to see if it's the lines, or if it's the beer itself.

Off as in contaminated. I had another keg in there and it was just aged and stale (even older). When I disconnected the older, aged, beer I didn't smell anything.

When I disconnected the beer that tasted weird, I could definitely smell it in the lines. So I have to assume contaminated lines.

Do we think the beer is also now bad, or good to go? Additionally, how do I prevent this in the future? Do people cover the ends of the taps?

I'd suggest trying the beer, with a picnic tap set up and fresh line to see if it's the beer that's contaminated, or the lines. It's probably the beer, but without tasting the beer that is not poured through the lines you can't really tell.

Latest posts

Back