Keg storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
How are you all storing kegs? I’ve collected about 9 over the years... mix of Sanke and Ball valve, looking for a clean way to store them... thinking about some way of hanging them on the wall when not in use... anyone using any creative systems for storage?

When empty just along the side of the kegerator. Keep 3 inside and fit 3 along the outside... don’t have a climate control place to store extras so keep brew schedule such that I don’t have full kegs to store at the same time I need the fermenter for fermenting.

I rarely have more than four or five of my 16 kegs empty, but if one of my three fridges is empty I'll stash them in there.
Otherwise I can tuck up to five kegs under my sink's sideboard.
My humble brewery is the opposite of fancy, so I don't get too worked up about such things...

Cheers!

I rarely have more than four or five of my 16 kegs empty, but if one of my three fridges is empty I'll stash them in there.
Otherwise I can tuck up to five kegs under my sink's sideboard.
My humble brewery is the opposite of fancy, so I don't get too worked up about such things...

Cheers!

Yeah... I’m just trying to make floor space in my garage for other stuff.

I keep mine stacked under a workbench I have.
I have 8, I think. |Currently 6 under there, one is full of starsan, one full of beer.
|I need to get / build a kegerator / keezer and increase my throughput to keep more filled at any given time.
To prep them for storage, I soak with starsan, then use an air pump to force it out. I'll keep some pressure in there.
When I'm ready to fill, I rinse again with Starsan.
Haven't had an issue yet.

After emptying a keg I clean them flushing the dip tubes & blasting the inside with PBW or OxiClean. After rinsing I fill them with sanitizer, a half gallon or so, attach the cover then slosh it around a little to coat the inside. For storage I first tried an overhead then a free-standing shelf where they stacked on their sides. I have since just stored them upright under a sink. The overhead shelf worked fine until I installed more LED strip lights. Storage can be whatever works best for you, just keep things organized and convenient for your brew day.

Dirty (meaning thoroughly rinsed but not washed and sanitized) get lined up in the storage area in the basement until all my clean ones are depleted so as to make it worthwhile to drag out the keg washer and mix up PBW and low-foam sanitizer. Clean get a cup of starsan, get purged with CO2 and stored with ~25PSI in them on a shelf with other bulk brewing supplies. When its time to use one I use the CO2 to push out the Starsan and fill them without removing the lid. Drink beer...repeat...

I kept the clean ones in the attic, out of the way right next to the pull down ladder,
and the dirty ones in the garage on the bottom of a stainless steel cart, when I get ten or twelve dirty kegs, I would set up the keg washer and spend an afternoon cleaning kegs.
First a rinse through both tubes, knock the big stuff loose with a brush.
Put on the keg washer, with the lid in the wash tank, keg washer also pushes cleaner through the diptube.
Rinse, then fill with starsan, push it into the next keg with CO2, leaving the keg pressurized ~25 psi
Then clean kegs go back into the attic.

Full "on deck kegs" in a climate controlled area ~72*

BTW-I have 45+ kegs and 16 taps.
I still look for kegs and buy them up as I run across then, if they are a good deal.

Keg storage is always an issue, I have over 20 and I’ll wait until I have enough to make it worth dragging out the keg washer to clean them.

I keep mine on some wire shelves under where I keep my grain, but I’m not sure now how it will Work when they Are full.

Any of my kegs full of beer are always in one of two beer coolers. I have one just for serving kegs that will hold six, five on tap. The other cooler can hold six too but it never has that many at one time. I use it mainly to keep full kegs cold and carbonating before there's room on the serving cooler. I never store full kegs outside the coolers.

One thing I have started doing is for kegs that are clean and have sani in them, I use blue bendy pipe cleaners (the fuzzy ones) and wrap one around the handle. It's my ADHD way of remembering it's clean and sanitized and not just sloshing around old beer I was too lazy to dump/clean.

I don't have any suggestions regarding storage. I built wooden shelving for all my assortment of different kegs. However, this is my solution for keeping track of the state of kegs and what's in them. Bought a bunch of luggage tags off of Amazon. Green if it's clean. Blue if it's sanitized and water purged. Black gets filled out with beer name and dates. If it's got a black tag on and it's empty, then it's dirty. I printed out and cut up a whole stack of labels to fill out. That will last me several years of brewing.

IMG_20200523_124508.jpg

Back