keg smells like syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I've cleaned and sanitized several times, had a couple of batches in it, and still smells like soda syrup. Any way to get rid of this?

Nope, Ive never had a problem and have smelt the same thing on a couple of my kegs.

Did any of the batches taste off?

That's just it they don't taste off. But last night I kegged a batch with loads of Amarillo and could not smell anything but the keg.

I'm guessing, yes, but I'll ask: have you changed all the o-rings? Also, my kegs had plastic gas dip tubes that smelled like soda. I replaced those with new ones (Williams Brewing sells them - standard stainless won't fit.)

Yep replaced all o rings and cleaned inside the tubes with a brush. Soaked overnight with baking soda and hot water initially and oxy clean prior to using. I have 4 but this one is just stubborn.

I've had good luck removing odors with using two scoops of oxy-clean in warm/hot water in the keg. rinse well.

You could also try some 5-star saniclean. I bought a bottle once thinking it was star san. Works pretty good knocking the odor down in fermentor buckets. Might help with your keg too.

Oxy-clean always worked to clean my Kegs. Always odors less after 6-12 hours solution in. Rinse like well then sanitize

Back