Keg replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhmsLaw43

Reaction score
I have a Chinazon two keg kegerator and have tapped out one of my kegs. Do I need to shut off the CO2 to replace the one keg or can I leave it on? Also, the empty keg was Four Peaks Kiltlifter and it would stick closed if I didn’t use it often. Is this a normal with the darker beers (Scottish Ale)?

No need to shut off the CO2 when replacing a keg.

What was sticking closed on the Kiltlifter beer, the faucet? If so, I guess you have regular rear sealing faucets, not the forward sealing ones most homebrewers use.

You best strategy is to spray the inside of the faucets with some clean tap water after a day/night of tapping to rinse it out. Following up with a sanitizer will also help keep the channel inside the faucet sanitized till next use.
Sweeter and higher gravity beers (such as your Scottish Ale) tend to be more sticky, so you'd get more built-up inside.

To get a sticky faucet going again, spray/rinse/flush it out with water, let sit for some time. Repeat until it's operational again.

Thanks. All great info and much appreciated. Wouldn’t I have to shut everything off to disassemble the tap to flush?

Wouldn’t I have to shut everything off to disassemble the tap to flush?
Not if you just spray/squirt water deep inside the spout. The faucet stays closed. The built up is dried up beer inside the faucet, between the seal (in the back) and the spout.
Keep a pitcher or small bucket underneath to catch the dirty liquid pouring back out.

Back