Keg ran out of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from a four day vacation hoping to drink a beer I kegged last weekend. Problem is that it is flat and there was not pressure on to the keg. I have been having problems w/ a leak after i kegged the beer but I thought I got it taken care of. :( My question is that assuming the keg has had no pressure to it and has a leak and has been exposed to O2 for four days (worse case), is it any good?
Would going out tomorrow and getting the CO2 tank filled up again and hooking it up back to keg be worth it? Obviously, I'm going to get it filled but I would hate to waste more CO2 on a keg of beer that is ruined because of oxidation. Has anyone else experinced something like this? My keg setup was just fine untill after I hooked up this keg and I had to work on the lines a bit and obviously there is a leak where I thought there were none. thanks in advance.

Was the lid of the keg still seated? If so, I doubt any oxygen got in there, so it should be fine.

Yeah, the lid is seated properly. The problem is was having was with the hose clamps leading from the regulator. I checked the gas inlet post, nothing came out of the keg so I'm worried that having a regulator with a leak hooked up to a keg will led to oxidation. Or is oxidation a big concern for for days at most?

The keg should have maintained a blanket of CO2 over your beer even with a leak. If your beer was truly in contact with oxygen for four days you would have problems and a quick taste will tell you but I think you will be ok.

Talk to this guy, hes got extra:
Untitled.png

There is absolutely no way for O2 to get into the keg. Everything was still full of CO2, even though it was at ambient pressure. Re-pressurize and RDWHAHB.

Back