Keg psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occhionp25

Reaction score
I'm new to begging. I have two kegs attached to a double perlick faucet tower. Temp of fridge is set at 40 and I can not get my blonde ale or IPA to pour without foaming up above 5 psi. Is that ok?

I'm new to begging. I have two kegs attached to a double perlick faucet tower. Temp of fridge is set at 40 and I can not get my blonde ale or IPA to pour without foaming up above 5 psi. Is that ok?

Well, no. Unless you love foam!

How long has the beer been carbed? I have a feeling that it was at much higher than 5 psi to be so overcarbed.

Are the kegs holding excess pressure. Bleed off the pressure and let it restabilize with whatever u set it at and try to pour. Mine does that sometimes and I just bleed the keg and it pours fine after that.

It was set at 20 psi for a day and dropped to 10 psi for the last week. I need to release pressure to under 5 psi just to pour without foam and having flat beer.

If its that obercarbed then I think you will have to keep bleeding them down to get rid of some of the excess co2 to get the carb level back down.

It was set at 20 psi for a day and dropped to 10 psi for the last week. I need to release pressure to under 5 psi just to pour without foam and having flat beer.

Did you shake the kegs while carbing or something, because that shouldn't be anywhere near overcarbed. Is it just the first pour of the night from each faucet that's foamy, or does it pour foam for several consecutive pours? How long are your beer lines? Are there any kinks in the lines, maybe near where they connect to the shanks?

I did roll the kegs a few times the first day but I don't think its foam in the keg. I have a feeling its the tubing.
Up until yesterday I had 5' picnic taps on with 3/16 ID and yesterday I installed the tower. It was supposed to come with 5' of 3/16 tubing but I'm noticing its 1/4" ID. I was hoping the the added resistance from the tower my beer would finally pour correctly.
Now I just have to figure out how to change the lines in the tower.

ForumRunner_20120818_074337.jpg

Besides 3/16" line, one other thing that could be the issue is the tower.

If the tower isn't chilled, the lines in the tower are warm and the beer will foam like crazy when the cold beer hits it. That's usually only the case for the first pour (because the lines warm up a bit) but it's a pain when you're only have one beer. You could try insulating the tower and/or making sure you have cooling up there by using a fan.

Switched to 3/16" line and it works great. I have thought about installing a tube for cooling. What size is recommended?

Back