keg polish troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStrangeBrew

Reaction score
so i started the back braking project of keg polishing yesterday and used gator grite finishing pads anf polioshinbg pads and i used a ryobi polish since there was none at lowes where i bough pads. now at the end of all of that the keg is covered in some black crap. is there a step im missing? is this norma?

so i started the back braking project of keg polishing yesterday and used gator grite finishing pads anf polioshinbg pads and i used a ryobi polish since there was none at lowes where i bough pads. now at the end of all of that the keg is covered in some black crap. is there a step im missing? is this norma?

One rainy day when I had not much else to do I got out my trusty angle grinder and polished up a couple of my Corny kegs, using the same type of finishing pads and standard polishing pads with some polishing sticks that Bobby_M recommended.

I really got into it and didn't notice I was slowly covering my shop with black dust and clumpy flecks - the former cast off by the finishing pads and the latter by the stick polish. It took me forever to clean up the mess!

Anyway, there was a blackish film on the kegs that had to be wiped off at the end (iirc I used some paint thinner on a rag, followed by soap and water) but damn those puppies were so bright I had to wear shades ;)

Cheers!

ok good i was a little worried and disappointed also i just gotta get a little extra time to go back at it.

The black stuff is actually the polishing pad itself getting melted. Any aggressive solvent on a rag will work (a piece of old denim is great) to get it off. Try to lay the pad down as flat as possible and avoid the bump and valley areas until the end to make the pad last longer.

the black crap can also be bits of stainless - i get the same thing from just plain sandpaper (100-1000 grits, oxide as well as garnet).

the black crap can also be bits of stainless - i get the same thing from just plain sandpaper (100-1000 grits, oxide as well as garnet).

I agree - I'm pretty sure the light fine dust that showered my shop was from the kegs, as I always give newly acquired Cornies a thorough cleaning using a green scrubby with some Goo-Gone and those pads eventually end up black.

And the clumpy flakes from the final polishing weren't from the backing pad - it never got hot enough to start tossing bits of itself - in fact other than the stains it looks pristine. It was the compound loaded with stainless dust flying off the polishing pad.

Definitely won't do that inside again. I spent nearly as much time cleaning the shop as I did polishing the kegs!

Cheers!

Back