keg mlt...copper tube bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've searched the forum pages and the web, but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I was given three kegs form a friend. I plan on doing a gravity fed three tier system for 10 gal. batches. The hlt is no problem, nor is the kettle.I was thinking premaid false bottom, but I have a bunch of copper laying around from house renovations, and would like to use it instead. I will be direct heating...protein rests--to mash--to mash out, so I thought the copper would be ideal.

My question(s) is: what would be the best way to build this? I was thinking of concentric circles of copper with slits cut into it every 1/4 inch, connected by 1 main drain to the ball valve? Does that make sense, or is there a better way. Also, if I did this, would the slits face up, or down....does that make a difference? I'll be fly sparging if that makes any difference. Thanks, and let me know if you need any more info.

WVbrewer...what a great friend you have!

"I was thinking of concentric circles of copper with slits cut into it every 1/4 inch, connected by 1 main drain to the ball valve"

If by concentric circles you're referring to a coil, I would think you're on the right track. I use a CPVC manifold in a rect. cooler with cut slits spaced slightly less than 1/4" apart, facing down...works awesome. Although labor intensive, copper's definitely the way to go for your proposed setup.

Having the slits face down allows for the wort to be pulled from the bottom when draining; slits on the top leads to stuck mash...no so good.

Good luck.

Thank you Shaggyt, yes, concentric indeed. Thanks for the heads up on the slits.

My friend wanted to hold on to the kegs, and actually put "corporate beer" in them (he works for a distibutor). However, his new bride and mother of his child said the basement needed to be purged to allow for more "family stuff". I promised he'd get a mixed case every so often to compensate for his loss.

Back