Keg lube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekeez

Reaction score
Anyone ever try crisco? I don't have any keg lube and I tried crisco last night as i kegged my lemon blonde ale. Seems like it works great!

I have heard vasoline is bad and will break down the rubber. I use plumbers silicon from home depot, pretty much the same as keg lube. It comes in a little white circle case.

crisco is also an oil based lube which will degrade rubber o-rings.

it also can go rancid since its just whipped vegetable oil.

silicone lube is fine on rubber o-rings, but don't get it near a silicone o-ring or you'll dissolve it.

I think the vaseline only degrades certain kinds of soft rubber, latex comes to mind. The rubber used for the keg o-rings is a hard rubber (maybe EPDM). Could be wrong though. O-rings are cheap enough anyway.

One of the brew podcast talked about Vaseline is the same stuff the commercial keg lube is made of. I use Vaseline just need a little

I just got a giant tube of food grade lube from my LHBS for like 3 bucks. Used it for the first time last night, and it was amazing how easily the disconnects go on/off.

I think the vaseline only degrades certain kinds of soft rubber, latex comes to mind. The rubber used for the keg o-rings is a hard rubber (maybe EPDM). Could be wrong though. O-rings are cheap enough anyway.

This sounds right to me. Otherwise they wouldn't sell petroleum based lubricants for us to use on our kegs.

Petrol gel is USP Mineral Oil and other USP ingredients.
Official Site of Petrol-Gel

Vaseline is a mixture of mineral oils, paraffin and microcrystalline waxes. I'm unsure if I want the paraffin and wax in my beer. It may be fine.
Vaseline® | Petroleum Jelly

If I were going to use anything other than "Keg Lube" (which I can't find any info for) or Petrol gel, I'd go buy some USP Mineral Oil.
Walmart.com: Aaron Brands: Intestinal Lubricant Mineral Oil, 16 fl oz: Medicine Cabinet

Bumping an old thread, wanted to share a trick of mine. I use Coconut oil instead of keg lube. We try to avoid chemicals wherever we can (there's cancer all over both our families).

Coconut oil is relatively inexpensive, conditions the rubber, is a natural antiseptic, and can easily be pushed into the seal with your fingers, as it softens with just your body warmth.

I bought a huge (like a quart sized can) of food grade lube to be used on my sausage grinder. It lubes the moving parts and seals of the grinders and stuffers. It is ideal for the keg O rings, plus a lifetime supply (a quart can) is $15. Compare that price to keg lube at your LHBS.

Yup, any food grade lube will work. I use frozen yogurt machine lube. It's really just keg lube in a much larger tube, for a fraction of the cost.

Back