Keg lube, how often?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
How often do you reapply your keg lube to your gaskets? After each cleaning? Deep cleaning?

I'm still new to kegging but I use it every time I clean and prep a keg for refilling. Not just as part of routine maintenance, but to ensure a good, leak-proof seal. Between tear-downs I just wipe the post o-rings clean with a paper towel and starsan then smear a bit of fresh lube on, wiping away any excess. Cheap insurance against losing an entire keg of beer or a whole tank of CO2. Besides conditioning the rubber material, it also reduces friction and allows better contact between the o-ring and its mating surfaces.

I always lube the lid and post o-rings, but only lube the dip tube o-rings if I remove posts for some reason - which isn't very often.
Otherwise, just the three o-rings...

Cheers!

I always lube the lid and post o-rings, but only lube the dip tube o-rings if I remove posts for some reason - which isn't very often.
Otherwise, just the three o-rings...

Cheers!
Do you actually take the post o-rings off, out just apply to the exterior?

For those, I pick up a smidge from my keg lube container in my fingers and work it around the o-rings.
The lid gasket I take off to get the whole thing coated with a thin film of lube, but the post o-rings I leave on...

Cheers!

Back