• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Keg lube, how often?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bullhog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How often do you reapply your keg lube to your gaskets? After each cleaning? Deep cleaning?

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
I'm still new to kegging but I use it every time I clean and prep a keg for refilling. Not just as part of routine maintenance, but to ensure a good, leak-proof seal. Between tear-downs I just wipe the post o-rings clean with a paper towel and starsan then smear a bit of fresh lube on, wiping away any excess. Cheap insurance against losing an entire keg of beer or a whole tank of CO2. Besides conditioning the rubber material, it also reduces friction and allows better contact between the o-ring and its mating surfaces.

day_trippr

New Normal: Viral Russian Roulette
Reaction score
I always lube the lid and post o-rings, but only lube the dip tube o-rings if I remove posts for some reason - which isn't very often.
Otherwise, just the three o-rings...

Cheers!

OP
Bullhog

Bullhog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always lube the lid and post o-rings, but only lube the dip tube o-rings if I remove posts for some reason - which isn't very often.
Otherwise, just the three o-rings...

Cheers!
Do you actually take the post o-rings off, out just apply to the exterior?

day_trippr

New Normal: Viral Russian Roulette
Reaction score
For those, I pick up a smidge from my keg lube container in my fingers and work it around the o-rings.
The lid gasket I take off to get the whole thing coated with a thin film of lube, but the post o-rings I leave on...

Cheers!