Keg Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have finally saved enough to buy an entry level single keg system.
If I do, how long on average can I expect beer to last once introduced to the keg.
Days, Weeks, Months ???
Joe

I finished my first keg in about 2 weeks.......

Trust me, you won't have to worry about it going bad anytime soon.......until you finally move up to where you have 5 on tap, and a couple more conditioning in your walk in cooler......

but seriously, it will probably last 3-4 months I would think with no problem......I have 3 on tap now, and have never had any bad beer....

I have been trying hard to test the longevity of beer in a keg.

Problem is all my kegs have leaks.

I test them very regularly (in the name of sciencetifical research), but they always seem to leak out before I can figure out how long beer stays good in a keg..

I will promise to keep trying though.

:mug:

Thanks HBRunner,
Point taken, chefmike...
I usually drink one per day at dinner, so 5 gallons will last quite a while: 40 days or so.
I was just worried about having it go bad after a week or so.
I just pulled the trigger on the HK210 kit from KegConnection.

The only way it'll go bad is if you have sanitation issues (which would affect bottles as well) or if you introduce too much oxygen during the transfer. Assuming you're pressurizing with CO2 and not a party pump...

Oh yeah, 5lb Co2 cyl.
No more bottling.... Hooray !!!
(Although I'll keep them in reserve just in case)....

So, I'm a light weight..... ones all I need.
Hey I'm a cheep date I can have a ball on a 6 pack.
Found something else out tonight: I ran out of HB, so I tried a Grolsch Yuk....

For me, they last several months. Right now, my oldest was brewed October 2nd, but I've had them much older, at least 4 months. Shoot, I had a barleywine that was four months old before I 'started' drinking it. In a fridge, on co2, in a stainless steel container that's been properly sanitized is about the best way possible to preserve your beer.

Thanks for the reply ajwillys....
Just a little concerned as we all would be about losing 5 gallons of our home brew....
I now feel confident that with proper sanitation, temperature control and Co2 pressure I'll get at least the time I need.
Joe

I've had one beer go bad in the keg, a barley wine that was fine for 3 1/2 years and then went gusher on me.

I've had one beer go bad in the keg, a barley wine that was fine for 3 1/2 years and then went gusher on me.

This is about what I figure. 2yrs for a standard gravity beer, ranging up to 4 years or so for a big barleywine. If you manage to make a utopias clone it'll probably go bad after you do.

Even if the keg loses pressure, your beer shouldn't go bad, right? Any issues storing kegged beer not connected to CO2?

If you're a stickler for cleanliness and remember to purge the oxygen from your keg, the beer has no reason to go off anytime in the foreseeable future.

Many Thanks....
My keg kit has shipped from Kegconnection, I'll see it on 30 Dec 09
I'll be able to fill the tank at the local welding supply down the roa on the way home from work.
Just in time for New Years Eve.......
Ok, so this batch WILL NOT last 30 to 40 days
:)
Merry Christmas to you ...
Joe

I never did the bottling thing, but I know with wine I think twice before opening that second bottle of all the hard work that went into it. Now I pick/crush/press my own grapes and make about 10 cases a year so I shouldn't be worried and still have cases from three years ago. I am sure if I bottled my beer I would think twice before that second/third bottle. However, if you only open one big bottle (keg) and can have half a beer whenever you want, I am convinced I drink more with the keg than I would with bottles. Not in a bad way in an enjoyment way.

Back