keg leaking Nitrogen, but not CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsuhornb

Reaction score
Has anybody ever had this problem? I"ve been through a few rounds of searching for this leak but couldn't ever find it. Finally just switched the remainder of the keg over to CO2, til it kicked. Getting ready to keg another stout though and wondered what people thought about this. Already confirmed it's not the regulator or tank, it has to be the keg somewhere. Could the disconnect be leaking gas when it's connected? I didn't see any bubbles when I leak tested the keg....

Have you leak checked every joint that can possibly leak? Wiggle the joints with leak detector or soap suds. I had one of my ball lock fittings leak where the threaded insert is supposed to be glued into the plastic. Had no glue and if the line was just hanging under its own weight it would leak. But if the line was supported the leak was undetectable. I lost alot of nitrogen.

I've leak checked every connection I can think of, tank to hose, hose to disconnect, both posts, keg lid. The keg holds CO2 pressure by itself, but when the Nitro tank is connected, it leaks.....somewhere.... Could the post be leaking only when the disconnect is engaged?

Did you, perhaps, swap disconnects?

The big "screw" looking deal on the back can loosen up sometimes, and a Nickel or a Quarter fits the "slot" real well............Don't go nuts on it though!

My nitro system runs at 35psi, while my CO2 systems run somewhere below 12 psi, depending.
All ball locks, and I'd suspect a keg lid PRV if a keg only leaked at the higher pressure...

Cheers!

Back