keg leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 used kegs from midwest supplies..i filled one with oxiclean and i noticed the lid and release valve were leaking..should this go away after the keg is under pressure? I did not fill the co2 tank yet so i cannot test it..but im thinking about sending them back..I never kegged before so i do not know the deal with these things..Any help will be cool

It's not uncommon to get kegs with lids that don't want to seal on their own. You can often cure that by applying some keg lube to the o-ring, but some lids have the legs of the locking bail splayed outwards which reduces the closing force to the point that the o-ring is not uniformly compressed around its entire circumference.

One thing you can try: assuming you don't have any keg lube, wet the lid o-ring thoroughly. Then position the lid in the keg, and just before you latch the bail, stick a dime under each bail foot. This will increase the closing force. See if that cures the bubbling...

Cheers!

[edit] As for the PRV, operate it a few times under a running faucet, sometimes they don't seat perfectly and/or a bit of crud might be trapped in the seat...

It's not uncommon to get kegs with lids that don't want to seal on their own. You can often cure that by applying some keg lube to the o-ring, but some lids have the legs of the locking bail splayed outwards which reduces the closing force to the point that the o-ring is not uniformly compressed around its entire circumference.

One thing you can try: assuming you don't have any keg lube, wet the lid o-ring thoroughly. Then position the lid in the keg, and just before you latch the bail, stick a dime under each bail foot. This will increase the closing force. See if that cures the bubbling...

Cheers!

[edit] As for the PRV, operate it a few times under a running faucet, sometimes they don't seat perfectly and/or a bit of crud might be trapped in the seat...

Keg lube worked like a charm. No signs of leaks without pressure and im sure with pressure it will seal tighter....thanks alot cheers

Back