Keg Kolsch or Keg Stout, thats the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
so in about two weeks i will have my kegerator ready for my first kegged homebrew. the delema is this, i have two beers that will be ready at the same time 1) Dry Irish Stout 2) German Kolsch. i only have one keg right now, so i wanted some opinions on which one would benifit more from being on draft. i hear that this style of stout is better with nitrogen(which i dont have) so i wanted some opinions. thanks!

The stout is the bigger beer, I'd put it in bottles and leave it to condition, it'll be better for it. The Kolsch can be force carbed and will be ready to drink much more quickly.

Bottle vs co2 draft are pretty similar in pour. Nitrogen is just for the guinness/murphy's/boddigtons etc style creamy head, but for the most part flat beer.
Many stouts are served by standard bottles and kegs, it's really more about what you want to drink more conveniently, and what you'd prefer to have in bottles to store long term and or hand out/carry with you.

i'm not a seasonal drinker, thats why i got into homebrew. i love a good German Kolsch on a cold day, but i feel the same for the stout.

I'm a bit of a seasonal drinker. Maybe if I lived in more of a moderate climate I'd be less of one. But, on a 0F day in good ol' Wisconsin, you need a big fat stout to warm you up.

:)

I'd keg the kolsch bottle the stout. You're more likely to drink several Kolsch's in a row then stouts.

But you already decided so ignore me :)

Latest posts

Back