Keg had Kombucha in it - Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly_goat

Hop Head
Reaction score
Met an amazing women. She gave me a corny keg. It was used to serve kombucha out of though.

I was thinking replace the O-rings, remove dip tube and toss it inside, seal, PBW soak.

Thoughts?

I don’t treat kombucha kegs any different than beer kegs. A good PBW soak and running cleaner and then later sanitizer through the dip tubes (ie. Same way I do beer) has been sufficient for me.

The o-ring replacement probably isn’t necessary unless the keg looks old.

Sounds like nice women, how many were there?

Kombucha residue shouldn't be any harder to clean and sanitize than moldy leftover soda syrup, typical beer scum, or whatever. Fill with pbw and water as hot as you can get it, 180f is ideal. Get a brush in there if you need to. It's stainless steel, so it should stand up to pretty much anything you are likely to clean it with but DON'T SOAK WITH BLEACH FOR EXTENDED PERIODS. Bleach will eat holes in stainless if used in high concentration for a long time, besides being overkill for disinfecting.

Back