Keg for brewpot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptChet

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a second batch and want a bigger brewpot. I am also going to slowly acquire/make equipment to move to all grain. I am a DIY'er. I see a lot of you guys/gals using old beer kegs. Are all beer kegs SS or are some aluminum? If so which are recommended for brewpots?

Thanks,
Chris

I got an aluminum 15gal pot from lionsdeals.com for $89 delivered. Its a beast.

A word of warning about using kegs as a brewpot. There is a certain procedure you need to follow, and a certain modification that needs to be done or you could have an explosion during a brew. I, myself, being a DIY'er would have also done the conversion had I been in posession of a keg, but for the deal I found at lionsdeal.com I couldn't pass it up.

Hope this helps.

Aluminium is no good..........stick to SSTL.......all kegs are SSTL.......if you can get you, thats your best bet for moving on up.......depending on the size of batches you plan on doing.....you can get away with the turkey fryer pots too.......but the kegs are great for bigger batches........

if you lived closer to MI I would be happy to put one together for you.......but you can google keggle conversion and find many how-to's.....good luck!

I got an aluminum 15gal pot from lionsdeals.com for $89 delivered. Its a beast.

A word of warning about using kegs as a brewpot. There is a certain procedure you need to follow, and a certain modification that needs to be done or you could have an explosion during a brew. I, myself, being a DIY'er would have also done the conversion had I been in posession of a keg, but for the deal I found at lionsdeal.com I couldn't pass it up.

Hope this helps.

This procedure you talk about isnt common in newer kegs.......just got to make sure that there are holes drilled in the ring at the bottomb (metal that sits on ground), otherwise if water gets in and heats up it produces a compression bomb.........

I still use my 8-gallon enamelware pot for 5 gallon batches. It's not that I don't like my keggle but being stainless it doesn't transfer heat as well so I end up using more propane to get the wort to a boil. Aluminum is fine but I'm not so sure you'll run across an aluminum keg. They do exist but are pretty rare.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there was not an Aluminum keg. I want to keep everything SS. I plan to do a temp. gauge and recirc fittings as I move towards getting a pump, a dedicated mash tun and a sparge water container with sight glass and temp fitting.

Welcome to the Forum Chris. All keg are not stainless, the older "Keg" shaped one's are more often than not aluminum. And not a good fit for brewing, most is not all of the newer style are stainless steel.

If your looking for a shell, you can start with scrap yards in your area. Living in BF you have quite a few industrial towns surrounding you to focus on.

Cheers...

Mick

Aluminum being no good is a complete myth, its been proven countless times to have 0 bearing on taste, cancer causing effects, etc.

Sorry I should have clarified my answer. It is not because of the whole Aluminum "health" thing. I would never I would never comment on that since I have no data to support either argument.

It is due to their footprint generally being narrow making them more difficult to make stable enough for me to be comfortable with having 7-13 gallons of wort boiling right next to me. Not to mention the hole that is generally in the side of them it could be a PIA to deal with.

old keg.jpg sanke keg bottom.jpg

Sorry I should have clarified my answer. It is not because of the whole Aluminum "health" thing. I would never I would never comment on that since I have no data to support either argument.

It is due to their footprint generally being narrow making them more difficult to make stable enough for me to be comfortable with having 7-13 gallons of wort boiling right next to me. Not to mention the hole that is generally in the side of them it could be a PIA to deal with.

View attachment 18370 View attachment 18376

Oh, well in that case :mug:

I've been a member here for quite a while and I have been in more than a few of the Aluminum vs. SS brewpot arguments. Both sides have their opinions. I guess I just assumed that this would be another one of those threads. ;) You know what they say about assuming...

Oh, well in that case :mug:

I've been a member here for quite a while and I have been in more than a few of the Aluminum vs. SS brewpot arguments. Both sides have their opinions. I guess I just assumed that this would be another one of those threads. ;) You know what they say about assuming...

:off:

Come on join in all the fear mongering. My organic/holistic aunt was all over me for owning Teflon? coated cookware (Which in outlawed in Canada?) and a microwave (Now outlawed in Russia). I sure she read it on the interned so it must be true.

Cheers....:mug:

Back