Keg for $10I bought a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kklowell

Reaction score
I bought a keg from someone on Craigslist yesterday for $10. I think it came over on the Mayflower... would someone take a look at it and tell me all you can about it. Well, except "Dude, it's freakin' ugly!" Any keg painted purple and upholstered is automatically ugly.
http://www.photobucket.com/brewery

I have several of these kegs in my basement. They came from my Great Grandfather who used them to ferment wine and cider in. His are circa 1970 or prior genesee cream ale kegs. One thing to note is that mine are not stainless steel but actually aluminum. Most kegs were aluminum back in the day apparently

It looks like something from a set of a campy alien movie– like a pod that's going to hatch some crazy gremlins.

looks like a hoff-stevens keg. Is the side bung welded up? can't tell from the pic. I have one that i cut the top off and use as my HLT. Had to do a little extra welding to seal up the extra holes but it works good now.

It's too heavy to be aluminum. It does say Anhauser-Busch under the seat cushion too. The side hole is plugged, but not welded shut. I think if I use it as a HLT I will solder a plug of some type in there. But, if they guy at work who offered me a stainless pot with a spigot in the bottom (for free) actually comes through, the keg-chair may indeed simply finish out its life as a purple chair in my brew area.

Good idea... that's a white rubber stopper, a bolt and nut with essentially a fender washer, is it not?

It's a cask! :) used for naturally carbonated 'cask' ales or 'real ales' as we call them in the uk.

I was asking about the stopper Starsailor has closing up the fill hole in the side of his keg, and said keg is likely what you are calling a cask.

it's a hoff-stevens.

They used to stick a big rod in the bung hole to fill those up. Then they'd use a mallet, called the bung-wacker to knock a wooden bung into the bung-hole. The liquid would help the wood swell & seal it.

My local micro-brewery just stopped using those a few years back. You can actually get bungs on their tour.

Yea, it's an old Hoff-Stevens Keg *2 prong tap* keg. I have a 1/4 barrel in the garage somewhere that I'm going to knock the bung out and use as a fermenter... some day.

It's a cask! :) used for naturally carbonated 'cask' ales or 'real ales' as we call them in the uk.

kklowell's keg isn't a cask. It's a Hoff-Stevens keg that were popular amoung US breweries for the last century until AB introduced the Sankey's which have pretty much taken over across North America. Maybe a handful of little micros are still using Hoff-Stevens because they can get them cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to find them in any regular widespread use.

I think what you're calling a cask (as used in the UK) is really a Golden-Gate style keg that as the name hints at was an older keg style originated around the San Francisco area used mostly on the US west cosat around the early 1900's. In fact the Golden-Gate keg were served out of just like casks, on their side with the off center fitting on the end used to connect a faucet assembly and some sort of breather on the opposite end fitting on the top.

Back