Keg Foam Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outcastjra

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I'm new to kegging and well that's why I have a question I need answered by one of you pros! After force carbing my beer, I turned the regulator down to 10 psi. When I triend to poor my beer, well lets just say I got tons of foam! is there a way to cut down the foam? foam is great wasted beer for sure. What I was able to taste was great! Not over done with the gas or anything. Oh I also let the pressure off the keg from 30 to 10 psi as well. Does it just need to sit and this pressure of 10 psi for awhile?
Thanks for the help and input.... Also I have not leaks!!! I am blessed...
Thanks to the pros!!!

I'm by no means a pro---I pulled my very first pint on saturday---but what I was told to do was force-carb at 35psi for 2 days, then cut the gas off. Relieve the pressure at the kegs. Wait an hour. Relieve the pressure again. Wait another hour. Relieve the pressure a third time. Turn the gas back on, adjust the pressure to 10psi, and you're good to go. This worked for me...this is my first pour:

firstplint.jpg

Maybe you just didn't relieve the pressure enough?

It's possible that your beer is over carbonated. You can drop the pressure down to where it just bearly flows and dispense.

Open your tap all the way. Partially opening the tap makes the situation worse.

Also do a search on a "balanced kegging system" on this site or the web for a more info.

I will try this out! Because there was a ton of foam even this morning!
I will update in 3 hours and tell you how it went... It may be a faulty tap, but I would not think so being that its not leaking anywhere...
We will see!
Thanks

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your tap. Just that partially opening the tap causes more turbulence than fully opening the tap and that turbulence causes more foam.

I sure am glad to see Evan! giving advise on kegging. His 2 weeks of experience will not doubt be invaluable to others.;)

Wasn't it just last week where he was asking way he couldn't get his gas and liquid connectors to fit his over his posts? LOL :)

I have 3/16 line at about 5 1/2 feet. I thought I may have to much line but it seems to be fine. I am venting the keg. There has been a lot of pressure. I really think this may have been the cause. We will see in a couple more hours.
What temps do you guys keep your kegerators at? Mine is at 33.5!
Nice and COLD!!!
Thanks for the advice and help!

I like mine good and cold too. I also like a lot of carbonation. Many people don't.

1 other tip: chill your glasses having glasses the same temp as your beer also helps keep the foam down.

abracadabra said:
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your tap. Just that partially opening the tap causes more turbulence than fully opening the tap and that turbulence causes more foam.

I sure am glad to see Evan! giving advise on kegging. His 2 weeks of experience will not doubt be invaluable to others.;)

Wasn't it just last week where he was asking way he couldn't get his gas and liquid connectors to fit his over his posts? LOL :)

:p Dude, don't you realize...

poster16489971.jpg

Actually I wasn't giving advice, I was passing on advice I got from ohiobrewtus that happened to work for me. so pbbbthbhth!

Back