Keg fermenter access... how small is too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Looking to convert some 50L kegs into fermenters, only issue is I got them from a brewery as they were scrapping them due to beer stone build up so I need to get in there to scrub them out (and therefore can't just use the 2" TC conversion method). I was originally thinking a 4" TC would be too small for the access port, but just measured my corny kegs and they are only 3.5" x 4" and I can reasonably get in there to clean those out, I do struggle a bit getting to the bottom of the cornys with the top of my arm, but the 50L kegs are a fair bit shorter so it would likely be just past my elbow.
So the question is will a 4" TC give good enough access to a 50L keg? The next size up (5") is about 1.5 times the price (about $20 extra). I do have 2 kegs to convert so I might do 1 in 4" and check fit suitablity and if it is too tight then sell it to someone with smaller arms :) (the hard part would be finding someone with smaller arms :()

Back