Keg don't pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AromaticOtter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to kegging, and bought a 10L minikeg from KegLand (I tend to brew 10L batches). That kit precisely : 10L MiniKeg Sodastream Kit

I kegged my first beer a few days ago and decided to keg condition it (no force carb). After two weeks of conditioning, I decided to give it a try. I tried to serve it at room temperature (around 16C) as I don't have a fridge yet. A bit of beer poured really weakly at the beginning, and then nothing. If I try to pour from the party tap, I can only hear some gas coming out and the inside of the keg bubbling. At this point, I know that my keg is almost full, that the gas cylinder (SodaStream) is full and that the line isn't frozen as it has been stored at room temperature. I started at 10-12 PSI and played a bit with the pressure up to 25 PSI, but nothing changed. I thought that the dip tube (silicone) could have been clogged up by sediments, as it was keg conditioned. But I finally ended up opening the keg and checked it manually : it was not even the case.

Any idea where that could come from?
It's my first kegging experience, so maybe I am missing something obvious but I can't figure out what it could be.

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure you have the gas and liquid lines correct? If those were flipped, you'd have gas coming out and it would be bubbling though the keg as the gas would be going down the dip tube.

I'm not familiar with that kit, I have 5 gallon ball lock kegs. But in that picture the angled post has notches, so that should be gas. Your CO2 regulator hose should go to the gray connector and the gray connector on the angled ball lock post (which should have notches). The dispenser hose should go to the black ball lock connector and that should be connected to the top ball lock post.

Yes I checked all that...
After days, I finally solved the problem. For some reason, the dip tube was floating at the surface of the liquid... I need to find a proper way to weight it to make it sink at the bottom, or at least just to have then end of it submerged

Yes I checked all that...
After days, I finally solved the problem. For some reason, the dip tube was floating at the surface of the liquid... I need to find a proper way to weight it to make it sink at the bottom, or at least just to have then end of it submerged
The dip tube is probably designed to pull from the top so you don't pull trub or hop matter.

Yes, the dip tube definitely needs added weight to solve that problem. I had the same problem with my keg buoy floating dip tubes. Any stainless nut, washer, etc that fits over the silicone tube should work. Test the weighted tube in a keg of water filled to various heights and make sure you are not able to pull the end above the surface without the weight taking it back under.

Back