Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmross87

Reaction score
I recently brewed a table saison and would like to let the yeast do the carbonating then just put the beer on serving pressure. Anyone have experience with this? I've heard you don't want to use as much priming sugar as you would with bottling but I really want this one to carb properly. I'm thinking right around 3.5 volumes of pressure. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Yes I typically condition in smaller kegs, 2.5gal, and I usually am shooting for 2.1 to 2.4 volumes for the style of beer I make. It can take just as long for the beer to carbonate as it would if you bottled it so be prepared to wait. I will prime the whole batch when I transfer it into the bottling bucket but you could simply prime directly into a larger keg as well. Keep it simple and it should work just fine.
HTH ( ;

I keg condition on a regular basis. In my experience using about .75 oz of priming sugar/malt per gallon works very well. I dissolve it in about 2 cups of water, boil for 3-5 minutes, cool & put in the keg prior to transferring from secondary (my preference). Also remember to seal the keg w/ some CO2.
I let it sit at room temp for about ten days before cold crashing and serving.
Also remember you'll have a layer of sediment in the bottom of your keg. I shorten my dip tubes about 3/4-1 inch and add a SS mesh filter to each.

Would tipping the keg away from the diptube while it conditions help the sediment form on the other side? Would other issues arise from that? I'm brand new to kegging, and was thinking about sugar priming my belgians in kegs.

Tipping the keg will help some in getting less sediment if the keg remains that way through service. There is also a device out there that is new that floats the end of the pick-up tube inside a keg so you always get clear beer fro the top. I don't know what it's called.

Back