Keg conditioning after cold storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNish

Reaction score
I brewed a winter specialty ale that fermented a bit too warm but already put it in cold storage. Will the yeast still be active enough to smooth out the hot flavors if I bring it back to warmer temp?

It was brewed with White Labs Irish Ale (with a starter) at an OG of 1.090. Fermentation temp reached 78F for a few hours; it was a freakishly hot day and the fermentation literally blew the lid off my bucket (I kept the lid on top with foil). I gradually brought it back down to 68F over 5 hours and fermented in primary for a month. I transferred to keg and let it condition at 60F for another month after which I put it into the keezer, which is around 34F, and the beer finished at 1.022 (so around 9% ABV). However, there is some lingering hot fusels that I notice. It's not that much to put the beer off but could improve with further conditioning. I made a tripel a while ago before I made starters that was nearly undrinkable, but after 6 months of conditioning is fine now. I put quite a bit of effort into this beer and am a bit disappointed with the results. I know that it could be better with longer conditioning, but I already put it into the fridge and it's been there for a month.

Do you think the yeast have all flocculated out (and tapped out of the beer) or should there be enough left in suspension to condition the beer? I suppose I could pitch more yeast, but I am not looking to bring the gravity down, just to clean up some of the off flavors.

Back