Keg / Carboy Washer (yes another) . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simple enough, Thanks, off to home depot to make this. I already have a pump that I used to use for my IC, now that I have a CFC I dont need it. Got CPVC and keg fittings. This should be a cheap one to build.

ok last question, should beer line work for the keg connectors or should I get something with large ID. I have tons of beer line, thats why I asked. I have a 80 liter/minute pump, so I think that is 1/8 HP. That should be plenty of gusto to push through beer line, dont you think?

I opted for 1/4" line as it's bigger and the ball locks already have 1/4" barbs anyways. It's only like $2 worth of 1/4" line(6ft).

The first pump I tried was a 330gpm pond pump that just couldn't get it done. That's why I went with the one from Harbor Freight.

I either used 3/8" or 1/4" id - just can't remember. Whichever it was it was 10' at HD for only $3 or so.

Good luck and post a pic when you're done!

I got a 500gph aquarium pump from ebay for $25. Without anything on the output, it was already throwing water ~3' high. I will wet test my copy of this tonight and post back. Still waiting on the carboy stacker before I cut the lid.

Here is my copy of this. I'll get a better video when I get the top cut etc... Wish I had seen the part about putting the keg elbows facing downwards. Oh well.

I couldn't find a cross, so I used 2 tees.

Last edited by a moderator:
assume you mean 330 GPH, not minute, 330 per minute, you got yourself a fire truck :)
Maximum capacity: 1400 gallons per hour (23 gallons per minute)

My pump is 21 GPM, yours is 23.x, so I should be fine. I glue all the pieces, just letting them sit.

Any suggestions on hole pattern? I sort of just randomly cut holes, is 10 to many, is 4 to little?

assume you mean 330 GPH, not minute, 330 per minute, you got yourself a fire truck :)

Sheesh, yeah you got it right - GPH. GPM would have indeed blown the item being cleaned off the cleaner.

Apologies for not posting this earlier but I eventually removed the cap from the end of the PVC. Strangely enough I get a more even distribution of the cleaner cascading across the top and down the sides than I did with it.

I have a 80 liter/minute pump, so I think that is 1/8 HP. That should be plenty of gusto to push through beer line, dont you think?

I'm assuming you mean 80 liter/hour here after what others pointed out. That equates to 21 gal/hour. Considering he said the 330 gph pond pump wouldn't do it, I don't think this one would. Might as well try though if you already hav it.

here is mine, finished it off today. I did not glue the vertical part going into the carboy. It stayed in there just fine. I bolted the carboy driver to the lid. I can reverse it to hold kegs, even ones with one handle. I have a bunch of one handle ones because I need them to fit three in my kegerator.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

Just finished my Kal Clone, you can see it in the background. All electric, did my first batch last week, so awesome!. I am putting up at 3x7' piece of plywood on the wall to hang a light, vent and peg board for my hose. I also made some 30 degree angle to help channel drips from my chiller.

_MG_8316-7.jpg

this thread has given me an idea to add ONE more contraption to the tower. In order to wash wine / beer bottles all you need are the right fittings to connect on one arm of the tower. By putting a pvc ball valve on the tower below the lid you should be able to secure flow to the top and rinse / wash the bottles. The other arm of the tree should be left as an open path (disconnect keg fitting) to allow some constant flow from the pump. My only concern is pump overheating which in that case I wouldn't secure flow to the top but put a coffee can or something to keep from washing the ceiling of my garage. ( I bought the fittings today and if it works will add photos)!!!!!

I'm curious. Has anyone attempted to make a keg/carboy washer that was large enough to accommodate a kettle, kettle or mash tun? Any reason why this wouldn't work?

I'm curious. Has anyone attempted to make a keg/carboy washer that was large enough to accommodate a kettle, kettle or mash tun? Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Um, none that I can think of. Someone on here (KCBrewer I think) has a laundry room sink rigged up with a pump from either a dishwasher or washing machine. Depending on how you rigged it up that'd probably work.

Um, none that I can think of. Someone on here (KCBrewer I think) has a laundry room sink rigged up with a pump from either a dishwasher or washing machine. Depending on how you rigged it up that'd probably work.

Thanks for the tip. I found the thread: link.

This is actually a perfect solution for me. I have a whirlpool/spa pump and a cheap laundry sink I can use.

I have a whirlpool/spa pump and a cheap laundry sink I can use.

Anytime. Since last seeing that thread I've often thought about rigging up something similar to our laundry room sink while still maintaining it's current functionality.

Just picked up things to make one from home depot...they had the right parts this time! Since I hate going to HD and trying to find the right parts which they never seem to have (this was my 4th time trying to get to HD and buy what I needed) - I thought I'd post the parts I bought so anyone else can just try and order these online. I'll be assembling this tonight to make sure everything works as planned.

I have the 1400GPH Harbor Freight 1/4HP Pump which has a 1" FPT outlet. If your pump has a different outlet fitting, adjust accordingly. Also - I didn't have room for the 10ft length of 1/2" PVC, and nobody was around to help me cut it so i just got 2 2' PVC pipes instead...same price as 10ft, but they were there...and it'll get it done.

In any case here are the parts I used

012871626494 @ $0.64
1" x 1/2" PVC Bushing

012871626050 @ $0.50
1" PVC Male Adapter

2x 012871623714 @ $0.36
1/2" PVC Elbow 90 SlipxFPT

012871624810 @ $1.21
1/2" PVC Cross SlipxSlipxSlipxSlip

012871628283 @ $0.26
1/2" PVC Cap Slip

2x 697285604889 @ $2.14
3/8 Barb x 1/2MPT PEX Brass Male Adapter

2x 611942112579 @ $0.94
1/2" x 2' PVC Pipe

Total Cost $9.49 + Tax + Pump

I bought some 5/16" ID vinyl line, i wasn't sure if i had 1/4" or 3/16" at home, and they only had 20' worth not 10 (i hate home depot) so that adds $5.87. Part number: 048643105447 7/17OD x 5/16 ID x20'

I got the pump on sale for $30 so the $45 this cost me, will save me plenty of time I think!

Excellent idea! Excellent thread! I built one last week with a harbor freight 1/6 hp pump. Works like a charm!

I've watched several threads on these cleaners, and I like the simplicity of this one - with someone's suggestion of a bottle washer. It's going on my list.

I just built one of these. I have a 950 GPM utility pump that I use to circulate ice water through my IC, so now it will serve two duties! Versatility is awesome, onepump, two important functions.

FWIW, I have cleaned 4 kegs by circulating PBW through them for approximately 10 minutes each, I have 4 more to go, this thing is freakin great! I hate cleaning kegs, or at least over night soaking them. This thing reduce cleaning time to a fraction of what it normally takes me.

My only concern is the out dip tube, I rinse the kegs out manually and I depress the out poppet beforehand to clear it of any cleaner, but without running clean water through the out, how is all of the cleaner getting out?

I like to sanitize all of my kegs with Star San before I seal them up so they are ready to go for next time, so I think I am gonna put a little San in the bucket and sanitize them all before sealing them up, I'm sure the foam will be out of control, but it will be quick!

Going to the store for this today. My improvement is attaching a ball post to the PVC (assuming I can find the right connectors). That way, I can also clean out my picnic taps by plugging them straight in, and I can buy an extra ball connector and make a custom hose to hook up to my kegs.

Slightly... I was trying to adapt the post to 1/2" pvc. Turns out, the keg shop originally sold me 19/32" Cornelius posts. I couldn't find anything at Home Depot to adapt to that. I went back, and they also had 9/16" posts in stock, and 9/16 to 1/4" adapters. They cost me $20 each, plus another $2.50 for the 1/4" to 1/2" adapter. A bit complex, but this is what it looked like after it went together:

IMAG0464.jpg

The whole thing:

IMAG0465.jpg

And a video of it running:

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand Whutever's design, but am not sure I follow what ere109 is doing here. Why add cost to the setup by putting a set of posts and adapters in the design? I am sure I am just missing something, but what?

Whutever: I like this enough that I am going to finally build one. I absolutely hate cleaning carboys and kegs with a brush and your take on this has convinced me it is worth the effort and cash to make my own. Thanks!!

Slightly... I was trying to adapt the post to 1/2" pvc. Turns out, the keg shop originally sold me 19/32" Cornelius posts. I couldn't find anything at Home Depot to adapt to that. I went back, and they also had 9/16" posts in stock, and 9/16 to 1/4" adapters. They cost me $20 each, plus another $2.50 for the 1/4" to 1/2" adapter. A bit complex, but this is what it looked like after it went together:

LOL - a slightly expensive way to clean posts! Not to mention painful to disassemble to clean the keg...

Back