Keg carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I have a batch of IPA that I made for the Super Bowl. This is only the seconded time I have kegged a batch of beer. The first time I did the shake method at high pressure and it worked fine ( no over carbonation). However I don't want to risk things and I think I have time to set and forget. My question is do I have the time for the set and forget method if I rack to the keg tonight? If I am cutting it close should I set it to a slightly higher pressure?

I've never keg carbed, but if it was me, I would force carb with the shake method, but do it less than last time. Unhook the gas line, let the extra pressure out, then set to serving pressure and leave until the Super Bowl.

Basically you are cutting a corner to take maybe a week out of the process, but you are finishing with the set and forget method to ensure you don't go too far.

Will this work? I have no idea. But at least it makes sense to me. Good luck.

Chill it set it to 40 psi for 24 hours and if you can put the gas on the liquid side Otherwise 12 psi for two weeks or so.

freisste said:
I've never keg carbed, but if it was me, I would force carb with the shake method, but do it less than last time. Unhook the gas line, let the extra pressure out, then set to serving pressure and leave until the Super Bowl.

Basically you are cutting a corner to take maybe a week out of the process, but you are finishing with the set and forget method to ensure you don't go too far.

Will this work? I have no idea. But at least it makes sense to me. Good luck.

+1

The shake method is the only way I do it. I crank it up to 50psi and roll it around on the floor for a good 30 mins and then let it sit for the rest of the day. Before I go to bed I release the pressure and drop it down to 10 and throw it in the fridge overnight. The next day it's around 90% carbed and I start drinking it. As long as you leave the gas on it will carb no problem. This Thursday I am filtering and kegging an IPA and then fast carbing the hell out of it to meet the turn in deadline for a competition Saturday.

I prefer the set-and-forget method. If I can't do the set-and-forget method I do a combo burst carb.

I do the shake method at 30PSI when the keg is warm. I'll usually let it sit on the CO2 for ~12 hours after I shake. The warmer temperature makes it tough to overcarbonate since warm beer holds less CO2. This gets the keg about 1/2 way carbed.

Then I pop it in the kegerator and cool it while it's hooked up to serving pressure. It usually takes 2-3 days before it settles and gets carbed up properly.

I've done this probably 5-6 times and it's worked well so far. I haven't had any overcarbed kegs, which was a problem when I tried to burst carb cold kegs.

It still takes a week or so, but it cuts a week off of the set-and-forget process.

Back