Keg Carb Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltedwisdom

Reaction score
ATM I don't have a way to split my gas line to support both of my kegs and I'm about to get the second one full and start carbonating so I was just wondering if it is okay to swap the gas line off the keg that is already carbonated onto the fresh one. Basically, what I'm asking is will my other beer (about 2.5 gallons remaining) remain carbonated long enough?

The other beer will remain carbonated as long as you don't serve from it while it's off the gas. When you serve while off gas, the headspace PSI will be reduced and the CO2 in solution will eventually come out to create equilibrium.

How long is "long enough"?
You got the weekend ahead of ya', 2.5 gallons ain't much beer..........How long you thinkin'?

That means you have approx 2.5 gallons of head space, which I would not find desirable with no constant pressure applied.

Go pull yourself a pint or two.........Right now!
And call a Buddy in the mornin' if you have to!

NO no no
that beer will stay just fine in its fully carbonated state, no matter how much beer is in the keg 100%, 50%, 10%
The headspace is pure co2, no problems there
As long as the keg has a good seal, you are fine!

Nothing to worry about at all here. Go ahead and put the gas on the new keg. Serve off of the half-full keg without concern as well, if you've poured several pints off, put the gas back on it for a few seconds to top it off. The new keg will need a constant supply of gas to carbonate, but the one that's already carbonated will stay fine, and unless you drink quite a bit of it, it will stay exactly as you have it.

A friend of mine had a single gas line for 3-4 kegs at a time, he'd serve several pints off of a keg before he worried about topping it off with gas and his beer always had plenty of carbonation and serving pressure.

Nothing to worry about at all here. Go ahead and put the gas on the new keg. Serve off of the half-full keg without concern as well, if you've poured several pints off, put the gas back on it for a few seconds to top it off. The new keg will need a constant supply of gas to carbonate, but the one that's already carbonated will stay fine, and unless you drink quite a bit of it, it will stay exactly as you have it.

A friend of mine had a single gas line for 3-4 kegs at a time, he'd serve several pints off of a keg before he worried about topping it off with gas and his beer always had plenty of carbonation and serving pressure.

+1 to this. My response sounded more drastic than it needed to be :ban:

+1 as well.. sometimes i have a leak and i get paranoid about losing a whole bottle of co2 so once they are carbonated i'll just turn the gas off and just pop it open for 10 seconds after i pour a beer.. i can do at least 6 or so before i would need to shoot it again to get the pressure back up for serving

Back