Keg based HLT and MLT insulation options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty flashy, let us know what kinda dough they're talking. It's not as flashy, but Closed Cell Sheet insulation looks a lot cleaner than fiberglass, and would probably cost a lot less than the engineered blanket. Avail. at most large plumbing supply houses. If you haven't yet seen it on a keg, check out :

http://www.brewtree.com/albums/album_image/418461/80798.htm

I think this is what I'll do for my mash tun, with some insulation on th lid too!

Sea said:
That's pretty flashy, let us know what kinda dough they're talking. It's not as flashy, but Closed Cell Sheet insulation looks a lot cleaner than fiberglass, and would probably cost a lot less than the engineered blanket. Avail. at most large plumbing supply houses. If you haven't yet seen it on a keg, check out :

tn_DSC00090.JPG

I think this is what I'll do for my mash tun, with some insulation on th lid too!

It looks nice, but wouldn't it melt? Would you be able to use this on a direct-fired MLT? Also, how is it attached?

Take a water heater jacket and fold it in half, it ishould be just about perfect size for your keg now. Wrap it around and use water heater sealing tape to keep it all togeather. I loose just 1 degree in my hour long mash with this setup. If you get the 1 that Home Cheapo sells it is a nice lookinh finish.

Bobby_M said:
I'd like to insulate in a classy non-meltable, non-fiberglass way. Has anyone had a blanket made like this: http://www.sandsinsulation.com/HTML/removable-blanket.html

I send a quote request so I'm waiting to hear back...
My insulators at work made me one for my still pot. Maybe you can find someone in that line of business to do it cheaper for you. It's pretty good stuff.

Or find the pieces yourself. Its not hard to make if you can source the pieces. I use kaolin wool for insulation.

Back