Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz69

Reaction score
Can you use a refrigerator/freezer combo for fermentation temp control, and/or make a keezer/kegerator ?

Can you use a refrigerator/freezer combo for fermentation temp control, and/or make a keezer/kegerator ?
Yes or yes. If you make the refrigerator into a kegerator you can still use the freezer if you don't swap out any controls on the machine. If you use an Inkbird or similar device to make the fridge run at temps higher than the original design for fermenting, then the freezer part would prob not be fit to use

That’s what I was thinking too.
so how long does a keezer last ? The external controller is going to regulate temperature by adjusting the amount of electricity flowing to the freezer. That as to shorten the life of the compressor.

I have a side by side that holds 3 kegs in the freezer section with CO2 that I call the LAGERATOR,i have a Johnson Controls temp controller set to 33*.
After taking out the ice machine part and the water dispenser I couldn't get the fridge part to engage the compressor, but it has two pass thru holes so the fridge side is between 42* to 54* depending on the basement temp.
The fermentation side holds 2- 6.5 gal Big Mouth at two different temps (heat wrap on top shelf) or the 14 Gal Fermzilla.
My kegerator is a fridge with top freezer and I just set the fridge to 38* and get cold beer and frozen hops and wort for starters(no controller needed). It holds 4- 5 gal korney kegs. I sit in a chair to change kegs and lift it less then a foot, so easy!

go to the DIY kegerator section... several have done a side-by-side fridge into a kegerator and ferm chamber combo...look there and you can see how they made it work.

The external controller is going to regulate temperature by adjusting the amount of electricity flowing to the freezer.
The inkbird or whatever you choose will control the temp by turning the fridge on or off just like the the original controls, but the parameters are different. The voltage applied and current drawn by the fridge will be the same.

So the controllers are basically expensive on/off switches with a temp probe and simple logic circuit ?

No worries. I was just making a point - I was thinking the controllers regulated voltage. I didn’t realize it was much simpler - just turning on and off

So the controllers are basically expensive on/off switches with a temp probe and simple logic circuit ?
Basically, yes! But it allows you to set it to 50-68F to use as a fermentation chamber.
Most fridges top out at 44F or so with their built-in thermostat, unless you know how to modify the electronics, and add a fixed bias to the set temp. ;)

To keep it from starting right after it turns off ,set the delay to 10-15 min and all is well.
That!^
Setting the "compressor delay" function to the longest interval you can get is essential. In some cases it would be much better for the fridge or freezer if that delay could be set to a longer minimum, like an hour, or at least 30 or 45 minutes.

I ended up with a scratch and dent chest freezer from Lowe’s. Was like $125 for a 7 ft3. I hope this will work for now
It should! And that's a very good price, as long as it works, A scratch or dent in a non-critical area shouldn't cause any problems. You got the full warranty on it?

I've bought "scratch and dent" items that I could not find anything, even visibly, wrong with. The hefty discount made it much more lucrative and never had issues. Now some things that I bought brand new, at sticker price, is a different story... Sadly, consumer protection tends to be minimal, with very little recourse.

I picked up a dented used upright fridge (with freezer compartment on top) when I got into homebrewing back in 2016. Initially it was my fermentation chamber, then I converted it to a 4-tap kegerator, and now it's once again being used for fermentation. Still runs perfectly. It gets used most of time for something. If it's not fermenting a beer, then I've probably got a keg or two in there lagering and clearing up just because... why not.

I set the compressor delay to the max (10 minutes) and don't use too tight of a tolerance on the temperature setpoint - I think it's 2deg C. The goal is to minimize on/off cycling.

FWIW, I prefer this fridge as a fermentation chamber than a kegerator. I was actually able to shoe-horn 5 Pepsi kegs in there, just barely. But it gets really crowded inside and the kegs cool unevenly despite my attempt to install fans. Not only that but when a keg in the "back row" goes empty, there is considerable ball-ache to change it. Therefore I'd never recommend a fridge like mine for any more than 3 kegs, even if more will fit.

It should! And that's a very good price, as long as it works, A scratch or dent in a non-critical area shouldn't cause any problems. You got the full warranty on it?

I've bought "scratch and dent" items that I could not find anything, even visibly, wrong with. The hefty discount made it much more lucrative and never had issues. Now some things that I bought brand new, at sticker price, is a different story... Sadly, consumer protection tends to be minimal, with very little recourse.
I got a 1 yr warranty - cosmetic damage - exterior corner is dented. Plugged it in and it works :)

That’s what I was thinking too.
so how long does a keezer last ? The external controller is going to regulate temperature by adjusting the amount of electricity flowing to the freezer. That as to shorten the life of the compressor.
My first keezer lasted 5 years, the compressor failed. Besides avoiding short cycling the compressor, my understanding is that the keezer compressors perform "better" with sub 0 temperatures as opposed to refrid temps. I'm not sure if that killed my keezer after 5 years.

I’m interested in building this side by side kegerator/fermentation. All of my searching shows everyone rewiring and tying into the compressor.
Question:
Why not just plug the fridge into the inkbird and run temp probe to freezer(kegs) set to 40 degrees. Then hook up another inkbird to the damper/fan and pull air when needed. Compressor will kick on when warm air from fermentation chamber is pushed into freezer side. Seems too simple to work.

I’m interested in building this side by side kegerator/fermentation. All of my searching shows everyone rewiring and tying into the compressor.
Question:
Why not just plug the fridge into the inkbird and run temp probe to freezer(kegs) set to 40 degrees. Then hook up another inkbird to the damper/fan and pull air when needed. Compressor will kick on when warm air from fermentation chamber is pushed into freezer side. Seems too simple to work.
Looks good on paper to me. If you do this post a link here so we can check it out.

Back