Keezer without a freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I had an old freezer that I made into a keezer, after years of enjoying it died. I did not replace it because I was in the process of moving across country. I am now settled into my new place and have wired and set up facilities to start brewing again and have made room for a new keezer of some type, but there are not enough people around for me to find a used chest freezer and don't know I want to buy a new freezer to alter. The freezer will be kept in the garage that is almost a perfect beer temp 6+ months of the year. The other months it stays below 70 in there.

Is there a way to build a keezer without a freezer, using plywood, insulation and an air conditioner?

You could do that, but IMO you'd be much further ahead to buy a new freezer and then add the collar.

There is a way to build a keezer with NO alterations of the freezer at all. I've done it twice, and it's detailed in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/easy-peasy-no-glue-keezer-build-with-lots-of-pics.632550/

My keezer freezer just died, and I bought a new freezer to replace it. I'm using the same method as above. No alterations, no gluing, no drilling.

You can always put it back to just being a freezer. The collar can be lifted off, which coincidentally makes it much easier to move if and when. Add the magnetic approach to a drip tray, and no modifications.

You could do that, but IMO you'd be much further ahead to buy a new freezer and then add the collar.

There is a way to build a keezer with NO alterations of the freezer at all. I've done it twice, and it's detailed in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/easy-peasy-no-glue-keezer-build-with-lots-of-pics.632550/

I doubt I invented this method of mounting either but had created one this way before. I still have the wood from it and if I could find another freezer of the same dimension could rebuild my old one. It was pretty sweet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-collared-keezer-build.182614/

My new keezer location will be in the garage which will be my brew shed and is also a full wood shop so I would not mind the extra work to make an all wood keezer if it did not need a freezer as it's core.

I looked everywhere I could find a similar freezer on the web, trying to find something with the same dimensions. Sadly....no joy.

So I have to build another one. There are other things I'd rather do right now, but it is what it is.

Sounds like you want (need) to make a giant Son of Ferment Chiller.

I made one many years ago. Using the plans on the net I mounted (glued) the pink foam to plywood (adjusting measurements to the plywood not the foam) and made a box.

I did NOT use the wall or fan part of the plans. Without them I can fit 2 primary buckets/carboys in it at the same time.

Using 2-3 1/2 gals jugs of ice can last 2 days. The plastic jugs are from the AJ I use when making hard cider. If your fridge freezer can hold 2 of these then you can switch them out with the other 2 that thaw.

I also mounted it to a dolly and made a wooden top that doubles as a bar that I can wheel around anywhere in the garage.

Last edited:
Just a thought, my local Costco had small chest freezers for $200. I know you’re not looking to build a keezer but I love mine.

Back