Keezer wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerc78

Reaction score
Hey there, I am just starting my keezer build and have a good idea about everything except a couple wiring questions. I am going to use a Johnson A419 simple plug in controller. But I want one of those small blue LCD thermostat displays on the front collar. Example - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...ted_Thermometer_-_Blue_Light_TM03B.html#blank

Im not sure how or where I would wire that into the freezer. I was also thinking about using a small cpu fan as well but figured I could wire it to a phone charger and run it out the back to plug in seperatly. So can I wire these two items together to the fridge power supply somehow? or maybe just the LCD screen only and still run the fan on a separate plug? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here are some thoughts. First you'll need a temperature display and a sensor. The example you linked to did not include a sensor. If you search ebay with something like this - LED Digital Car Thermometer - you should find several. You'll need to provide 12V power to it, and I've done something like that with an old electronic device charger that I've had in a shoe box in the attic (once in a while it's good to hang onto oddball stuff). You'll need to read the output voltage to find a match as many are in the 5V - 9V range. I'm pretty sure you could also get a 12V power adapter from Radio Shack.

In my keezer I used a 115V fan that I got from Grainger - like this one - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Axial-Fan-4WT46?Pid=search. I wired it into the freezer wiring so that when my Johnson A419 turns the freezer on, the fan comes on too. I mounted the fan on a hinge so that I can tip it out of the way when moving kegs in and out.

Good luck with your build.

Back