Keezer running non-stop; some ice; not keeping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPaul

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old Kenmore 7.2cu ft keezer with 4 kegs in it. I have a PC fan to circulate air and it's worked well for a year. However, I recently noticed that it's running non-stop, although very quietly (not sure if that's normal) and it's barely keeping at my temp set point of 38 degrees. I noticed that a little ice has formed in the top 3 inches of the keezer on 2 walls.
So far I tried unplugging it for a couple hours and removing the ice. Then started back up and found that it took 30 minutes to drop from 60 degrees down to 58... something is not right. Can the freezer actually be dead after just 1 year of light use? It used to turn on for only about 10 minutes every hour.
Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

That definitely doesn't sound good. If the ice build-up is localizing to an upper corner it's indicative of low refrigerant level causing the high pressure side to "flash" at the start of the evaporator. Beyond that there won't be any "cold" left (you can likely confirm that just by palming around the upper chassis interior).

Rather extraordinary for such a young machine.
Has to be asked, but did you screw-mount anything to the chassis itself?

Cheers!

I did not screw anything into the chest freezer to build the keezer. I glued the collar onto it. The ice is not localized to a corner, but it was along the top of the front and back walls about half the length of the freezer.

I can't believe that this thing could be dead already and I dread having to buy a new one and rebuild the keezer.

My last resort plan is to keep the chest freezer off for 24 hours and see if that magically fixes the problem. Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks.

I have the same problem somwhat, my keezer is running non stop and is cold inside very close to my set temp of 36 and its at 40. Its been on non stop though and theres ice along the inside front where the cold usually comes from. Funny thing is that I added my fan and now it wont get down to serving temp. The fan is wireless so idk how it could have ****ed anything up.

Back