Keezer Questions: Fan/Lines/Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
I built a keezer about 2 months ago, 2 kegs, 2 faucets, 3.5" shanks, and a fan. The temperature controller is an analog, hydraulics operated White-Rogers Type 201 (image attached), which is mounted about halfway up the keezer wall (so I'm not just taking the temp of the floor). The controller functions as a power-interrupter, which shuts off the compressor once it hits the set temp. I have a 92 mm, .3A 12V computer fan circulating the air inside the keezer, which is also plugged into the temp controller so it only runs when the compressor is running (to speed cooling, save power, and extend the life of the fan).

MY FIRST SET OF QUESTIONS:

Is it okay that the fan only runs when the compressor is running, or does that defeat the purpose of having a fan (keeping consistent temp throughout and chilling shanks)? Do you all leave your fan running constantly? My girlfriend wasn't thrilled at the idea of a keezer in the first place, as she was worried it would drive up our electricity bill, which is why the fan only runs when the compressor is running. Will a constantly running fan really drive up the power bill that much? Also, I imagine constantly running will drastically shorten the life expectancy of the fan.

SECOND QUESTION:
My serving pressure is 12 PSI. The first beer I put on tap was a DIPA and I did not have foaming issues, but now I have a Session IPA on tap and pulling a pint consists of pulling a glass half full of foam, letting it settle, and topping it off. I suspect my beer lines are too short (3/16" ID x 5'), so I ordered 100' of new line and I am planning on replacing them. For 2.6 volumes of CO2 at a serving pressure of 12 PSI, would an 8' beer line be sufficiently long? I used the balancing formula provided by Brewer's Friend, and calculated that I need a 4.7' long beer line, which is absurd since I am having foam issues at 5'.

Thank you for helping, as I am a relative n00b to kegging.

BONUS QUESTION: If you burst carbonate, what is your initial pressure and temp, and how long do you hold it there before reducing to serving pressure? I have tried 40 PSI for 24 hr with less than stellar results (still needs about a week at 12 PSI to hit full carbonation).

white-rodgers-201-8.jpg

My Temp Controller (Coil is filled with hydraulic fluid which reacts to temp)

- I run my fermentor and keezer fans 24/7 as that will definitely provide the best results.
I did the math somewhere on HBT recently and at 15 cents per KWH an 80mm fan would burn about a buck and a half per year...

- Assume 1 psi resistance per foot - forget anything else you've heard or read.
Go with 12 feet of 3/16" ID tubing to start.

- I don't burst carb...

Cheers!

I too run the fan 24/7. I use 12 psi for my IPAs in the 5-7% range with 5' lines and pours perfect. I don't burst carbonate anymore because I've found my beers need a good 5-7 days to condition in the keg and at 12 psi, they have perfect carbonation after that period of time.

Back