Keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarcoux

Reaction score
I recently finished my keezer and it is operational and doing great. Here's my question:

I purchased a drip tray with the intentions of mounting it under the taps (duh) by attaching it with screws to the side of the freezer. Is there a risk of damaging any coils or anything with such an installation? I would only use short, self tapping screws - enough to hold the drip tray by its mounting holes.

I am unsure of the anatomy of the freezer front panel.

Thanks,

that's what we did. kind of tapped around until it sounded hollow. don't know if we just got lucky but it worked? don't you love the keezer!

Yes, there's coils in the front, sides, and rear.
So if you're lucky you won't hit a line.
If you're unlucky you'll ruin the cooling system.

I ended up using heavy duty 2 sided sticky foam tape. I used 3 right angle brackets with my 19 tray and it's holding just fine. Rare earth magnets would work, but they're spendy. I would try the foam tape, which is less permanent than a screw hole

PLEASE understand that luck may well have played a part in other's experience - why risk ruining your system because someone else got lucky?

Cooling/evaporation coils DEFINITELY run around chest freezer walls.

Find some rare-earth magnets and epoxy them to the drip tray. They might not hold a glass ON the drip tray, but they'll hold a drip tray.

Thanks for the input. I am glad I asked.

I will try either tape or a liquid adhesive (liquid nails) and brackets. I have some double sided tape left over from the keezer build.

For the record, for me magnets are a waste of time My drip tray is not magnetic. Many stainless steel products are not.

I ended up using heavy duty 2 sided sticky foam tape. I used 3 right angle brackets with my 19 tray and it's holding just fine. Rare earth magnets would work, but they're spendy. I would try the foam tape, which is less permanent than a screw hole

That's exactly what I did and it's working fine.

never said we didn't get lucky with drilling! have seen a few set ups with small chains from the tray up and around the taps. sure like having the tray secure though. have seen several friends set the glass full of beer on the tray. magnets/tape with that weight would make me nervous.

tmarcoux said:
Thanks for the input. I am glad I asked.

I will try either tape or a liquid adhesive (liquid nails) and brackets. I have some double sided tape left over from the keezer build.

For the record, for me magnets are a waste of time My drip tray is not magnetic. Many stainless steel products are not.

Magnets really are awesome, being able to remove the whole tray for cleaning saves me a ton of time. Just superglue or epoxy some rare earth magnets to your drip tray. My stainless smoker box I use for a drip tray is magnetic, but I had to superglue the magnets to it anyway because we didn't want to chance our little one swallowing any.

Back