Keezer/kegerator at a Restaurant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKurtis

Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know the laws in CA about having a DIY keezer/kegerator in a restaurant to serve to customers?

Are you asking about how to legally get the beer into the customers hands or how to legally keep the beer cold?
IE, is one of your employees pouring from the keezer, or the patron?
I cant imagine that it would be illegal to have a keezer cooling beer as if it breaks you will be the one crying with wasted beer and money.
I do know there are places in NC that allow a patron to fill their own glass from a wall of taps, I cannot however comment on how that law may transition west htough.

I would call and talk to your local health department. As long as they are ok with it's construction and materials I don't see you having a problem.

A lot of breweries have their kegs in a huge walk in cooler literary in the middle of the pub. I wouldn't see much difference between a walk in and a keezer. And from my kitchen experience from high school and college I would bet the keezer would be cleaner. I would say you would have to keep it behind the bar and no self service. In NC we have bottle shops that serve kegs out of keezers, but they don't serve food. I would second check with the health department.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to be a (blank) but do you really want to seek legal advice off an Internet forum? ;)

I would imagine the only thing anyone would care about would be who's beer is being served and do they and you who's serving it have the proper licenses. How you keep it cold and how you get it to the glass is of no significance.

If you are asking about serving home brew, the costs of a license will eat up a good piece of the profit pie.

As Murphy pointed out, this legal advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Health dept would very much disagree with you! They are the place to start then your local alcohol authority to see if they tack on any extra regulations!

I would imagine the only thing anyone would care about would be who's beer is being served and do they and you who's serving it have the proper licenses. How you keep it cold and how you get it to the glass is of no significance.

If you are asking about serving home brew, the costs of a license will eat up a good piece of the profit pie.

As Murphy pointed out, this legal advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Health dept would very much disagree with you! They are the place to start then your local alcohol authority to see if they tack on any extra regulations!

Do you know what the health dept would say or are you just assuming? There is nothing about a keezer/kegerator that is fundamentally different than any other tap setup so I'm intrigued as to why you think they would care.

Back