Keezer compresser raise ambient room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jOitheboat

Reaction score
I really wasn't quite sure where to stick this question, so it landed in the DIY section.

I moved in to a new (75+ year old house) somewhat recently and have decided to turn the old "coal room" in our basement into the repository for all my beer stuff. The room is roughly 12' by 6'. Concrete floor, 2 outside concrete walls and 2x 2x4 walls lined (tightly) with 2x6 wood plank walls. This was the room that they used to dump coal into from the coal delivery truck to be used by the early owners of the house as fuel for their coal furnace. I heat with gas and brew beer, so I'm repurposing it.

Currently, it is 72 degrees F on my main floor, 69 in the finished part of the basement and 59 in the coal room. 28 outside and it will drop lower for the next few months.

I'm going to be picking up a 5 or 7 cu. ft. freezer in the next couple days and already have my temp control being shipped to me. My question here is whether putting the keezer in this coal room will raise the ambient temperature of the room by any appreciable degree.

Obviously in the winter, it wouldn't be a problem since the room is already bordering too cold for ale fermentation (but in january, it may be approaching high lager temps in there). I'm more concerned about the summer. This is likely the coldest room in the house in the summer too and it would be nice to be able to keep my keezer in there without forcing my fermentation temps too high.

Anyone have any idea? I'm sure the freezer is going to put off some heat... but I'm not sure how much.

The heat that it will produce is directly proportional to the power consumption. If it's load is 4 amps at 120 volts for 10 minutes each hour then it will use 4*120*10/60 watts per hour, or 80 watt hours per hour, about that of an incandescent light bulb. The fact that the freezer's wall feels hot while it is running is just the heat being moved from the inside to the outside. The heat then radiates away to the room air. When the freezer is not running that heat slowly moves back inside, which is why the freezer turns on again.

Had it running for a couple days now. The room has been around 61-63 degrees pretty steadily. No major concerns here!

It was 59 before I put the freezer in, but I've also been in and out of the room a ton since i've been cleaning it out and converting it to 'the beer room'.

Back