Keezer collar too tight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
I made the terrible mistake of making a nice keezer collar without ever dry fitting it. The collar consists of 2x4s, and then a nice 1x6 oak trim piece that I glued onto the face on three sides. The oak covers the 2x4 collar, as well as the lid and inch or so of the chest itself.

Anyway, the problem I have is, I didn't account for the movement of the lid, so its pretty much air tight. I need to take off about 1/8 of an inch all the way around so it will fit properly. What's the best way to do such a thing without spending 4 days with my orbital palm sander?

A router with an edge trimmer bit?

Cheers!

I was thinking something like that. The only problem is, the depth would need to be nearly 3". I'm not sure if they make a bit that long or not without spending a fortune. I'll have to look at Lowe's on my way home tonight.

Mark

I was thinking something like that. The only problem is, the depth would need to be nearly 3". I'm not sure if they make a bit that long or not without spending a fortune. I'll have to look at Lowe's on my way home tonight.

Mark

Do you have a table saw? you could set the rip fence at 1/8" less than your collar thickness, but if you didn't have a large outfeed table you'd probably (definitely) need someone to help you steady it as you cut. You'd still have to finish the corners by hand.

Or... You could use a dado router bit set at 1/8" depth and work your you way in from the bottom of the collar... Just clamp a straight edge at the top to act as a guide. You still will need to finish the corners by hand and this will take longer than a table saw. You could use a bit like this. http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/products/product/08-166

Band saw with a jury rigged extension for the table.

edit: No this will not work if you only need room for the lid, not the entire collar needing to be reshaped.

Flip it upside down, rig up a fence to limit your width of cut, set your depth, and go around the 4 sides with a circular saw.

I hope you put no nails in the corner of your cut area..........But a carbide blade will take them out, if they are no larger than a finish nail.

It won't like it, but it will take them out!

What was the fix on this one?

Yer killin' us!...........:D

Ha, sorry guys, I've been crazy trying to tie up all the loose ends on the project...

After much deliberation I decided to get a flap disc sander for my angle grinder and go to town. Took it down in just about no time flat. I am just waiting on a few details to come in the mail and I'll post pics of the final product.

Well, it's not done yet, but I got enough work done last night that I felt I could share it. Just need to get the casters on the base and the freezer on top, and install taps at this point. Eventually I'll figure out some sort of handle on the lid, but I think it looks pretty good so far!

12115596_1669341229948777_6319041831033790870_n.jpg

12122849_1669341209948779_404798232673031087_n.jpg

Back