Keezer collar hinge issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yipp

Reaction score
I've recently started to build a Keezer and have run into an issue. I want my collar to be secure to the base and the lid to lift like usual. I don't want to deal with securing the collar to the lid.

My issue is that the bottom hinge screw holes do not line up with the existing holes in the freezer. I'll have no issue screwing inthe the collar for the top screws, but nothing for the bottom screws. I'm thinking my options are to risk it and drill holes in the freezer where the holes in the hinge line up or get new hinges. Anyone have any other sugesstions or advice?

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

If there is solid material over the old screw holes just drill big holes on the top side of the hinge to expose the back side and make holes in the back side to match up with the screw holes in the freezer. If you have a dremel with a cutting bit you could just cut some material off the top get access to the back side as well.

You could make it easy and just attach some 1x2 wood on the inside of your collar so it doesn't move around and then attach the hinges to the collar. That is what I did and it works great.

Also, don't forget to put weather stripping between the wood and the keezer itself. You will get moisture/condensation inside and mildew/mold will grow. I learned this the hard way...

I know this thread is really old, but what did you wind up doing with your hinges? I'm pretty sure I have the exact same old school freezer, and I just put a 2x4 collar on it and am worried about the bottom holes

I ended up following Chrisl77's advice. I drilled holes in the hinge using the 1/2" bit. It made a big enough hole that I could still use the existing screw holes. Was a little annoying trying to get the screw and screwdriver in that hole to secure the hinge back to the freezer, but I haven't had any problems with it in the past year.

Good luck!

2014-04-27 22.12.45.jpg

2014-04-27 22.12.57.jpg

Back