Keezer Carb/Pressurization Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meyre86

Reaction score
Hey HomebrewTalk Crew! Hoping someone with some more experience with a Kegging system can provide some insight w/ the issues I've having.

Problem:
I have a keg of American Pale Ale that is pouring 90% foam out of my Keezer set-up. Its been set up in the system for 2 weeks now and has shown these symptoms since I test poured it 6 days after hooking it up to the gas/pour lines.

Background:
- Built a 2-Tap Keezer last year and have served probably 8-10 5-Gal kegs through it without issue.
- Running a 5-lbs CO2 Bottle which sits inside the keezer @ ~40 deg. F, and is still working off of its 1st fill. My gauge reads that its got ~38psi left in the bottle, which the TapRite gauge says is outside of the "Full" status but well above the "Low" status.
- The systems runs off of a single regulator, which is set to 12psi
- My gas lines are ~3ft. from the cutoff valve to the QD hookups. Beer lines are 7'.
- I've got a hard cider on the 2nd tap, which is pouring carbed up with the perfect amount of head.

What I've Already Tried:
- Reran the beer lines so they are coiled and laying on top of their respective keg straight from the tap. No point in either beer line sits below the top of the keg (well above the top of the beer)
- Cut the pressure to the keg, disconnected/reconnected both the CO2 and beer lines to the keg, and opened/closed the top of the keg to ensure a tight fitting with no leaks.
- Gave the keg a good shake to see if anything may have been clogging the tube that feeds the beer line.

I feel like I've tried all the advice I've found online and the symptoms have remained exactly the same....so I'm stumped :confused: ....I appreciate any help you guys can give. All I wanna do is enjoy a little home-brew :tank: . Is that too much to ask?

If this problem is only affecting one keg on a faucet and line and QD that worked fine before, the problem has to be in the keg.

The list of possibilities:

- missing or damaged Out dip tube O-ring
- plugged Out poppet
- plugged Out dip tube
- plugged disconnect
- Out dip tube end is slammed up against the bottom of the keg

Cheers!

Thanks a ton for the list. Gonna go PPP out the tube now, check for clog and reinstall to see if that does the trick.

One other thing that would be in the keg would be a hella-overcarbed beer.
So, did you carb this keg differently than kegs you've dispensed without issue?

Cheers!

Scalped a tube with a functional gasket off of a spare keg, reinstalled, and hooked it back up. Poured a beer and now it looks good to go. Good thing I had a couple empty legs sitting around. Just need to order some spare gaskets now. Thanks again for the help Day Trippr!

Yep, good call by day trippr. Definitely a good idea to keep a few extra gaskets on hand, while you're at it get some post o-rings too.
:mug:

This is a great picture.

266437d1427332454-keezer-carb-pressurization-issues-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1427332453.577794.jpg

It should be in The Kegger's Bible, should there ever be one...

Cheers! :mug:

This is a great picture.

266437d1427332454-keezer-carb-pressurization-issues-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1427332453.577794.jpg

It should be in The Kegger's Bible, should there ever be one...

Cheers! :mug:

Sounds like some white space somebody should tackle. Might start putting together some notes as I learn and throw something out there for a sticky. I've got A TON written up from what I went through piecing together the components for my system.

Latest posts

Back