Keezer Build - Tips and Lessons Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I take it with the bilge fan and adapter, you have to cut the plug off the adapter and splice the wires together?

I didn't want to reply because i haven't gotten this working yet, but yes, that's what I have been doing. I use butt connectors to splice the lines together. However, as you can see from my posts above, I'm having a hard time getting a power supply that works with the fan. I'll probably just get the one recommended earlier in this post, even though I wanted to get a 9V charger.

Ok, thanks for that information. That makes sense, but it turns out my problem was even stupider. Apparently 300ma doesn't equal 3A. Which I KNEW but I failed to notice. *LEARNING MOMENT*

In any case, I now have a new issue with power. I picked up this 9V 3A power supply: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZJAPMA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Wired it up and now the fan pulses on and off. I hooked it up to a voltage meter and the voltage jumps and immediately drops. Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnr27ctx9z7xear/2016-06-22 14.02.03.mov?dl=0

I figured it was a bum power supply. So I cannibalized a 12V 3A I had sitting in a drawer. I had the exact same result.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. Want to RAHAHB, but this is frustrating me.

The power supply's you are trying to use are "switching power supplies", hence the pulsing.

This is the power supply you need for the fan to work. I have been using it mine for over a year now.

NEW Genuine Real D-Link Power Supply AC ADAPTER 5V 3A JTA0302C https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004576EOK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

In the link, notice the "frequently bought together" area.

I am also using this fan....Attwood Blower (White, 3-Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0DE8K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Toss the other power supplies used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what was causing it but that makes sense. I was trying for a 9V power supply but I went ahead and ordered the 5V one since it is proven to work.

FWIW, I unplugged my overkill fan and found out I really didn't need it anyway. I get a small, thin layer of frost in a few places and that's it. I live in the humid mid west as well. Maybe try your builds without the fan and see if it's actually needed.

FWIW, I unplugged my overkill fan and found out I really didn't need it anyway. I get a small, thin layer of frost in a few places and that's it. I live in the humid mid west as well. Maybe try your builds without the fan and see if it's actually needed.

Mine is built, and after three weeks with no fan it is definitely getting some ice buildup. However, I have noticed that with the kegs off the ground I don't get the water pooling up that I used to get. Looking forward to installing the fan though.

Finally got around to building mine with the fan, as I was getting water to pool up around the kegs. I ended up using a pulse width modulator from amazon to control the speed of the fan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZO6IATS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I also put a switch in line so I can turn it off when I am doing routine cleaning in the keezer.

Once I got the volts dialed in, it seems to be holding temps within 1 degree between the top and bottom. This is great because I originally had a 5 degree swing between top and bottom. O h yes, and I do not have any more water at the bottom. Thanks to DaHappyCamper I am a happy camper.

So I got everything bought this weekend at Home Depot, pipes and closet rack. Already got the fan and power source from Amazon. One of my kegs kicked this weekend and I was amazed at the amount of standing water in the bottom of my keezer so this retro-build can't come soon enough.

Old post but still very relevant. I was mocking up a 120mm fan last night. Fan is 5" wide (120mm case fan) this is a downspout adaptor that I had laying around I sense possibility here. Ill probably see If i cant find a square to round adaptor or probably just a 5" round pvc thing. I havnt yet made it to HD or lowes to check stuff out as I dont actually have my freezer yet to build the cooling system!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1475760310.486469.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1475760325.124867.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1475760335.409543.jpg

I could see this working like the bilge fan as well. And since I already have the parts on hand easier hehe. Seems to push a decent amount of air though probably not as much as the bilge fan.

I'm looking to get a keezer in the next coming month or two and was curious if there were any recommendations for black freezers in the 5cubic size range? Thanks!

I'm looking to get a keezer in the next coming month or two and was curious if there were any recommendations for black freezers in the 5cubic size range? Thanks!

Get a freezer on Craigs List for cheap and can of black appliance paint from your local hardware store.

I would like to add a like to the idea of using a bilge fan to move air around. Has anyone thought of using a smart home moisture monitor to plug the bilge fan into? It's too expensive as a sole purpose purchase (150$ for a starter kit), but if you already have some, I have a Samsung Smartthings Homekit, it is very cheap to put a wireless moisture sensor in and plug the bilge fan into a Smartthings outlet. You can easily setup a command to automatically turn the fan on when the moisture level gets to high. Or even to automatically run it for 8 hours when your sleeping/when ever the moisture level gets to high. I imagine this would extend the lift of the fans.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOIYIN...t=&hvlocphy=9011663&hvtargid=pla-320901479415

I would like to add a like to the idea of using a bilge fan to move air around. Has anyone thought of using a smart home moisture monitor to plug the bilge fan into? It's too expensive as a sole purpose purchase (150$ for a starter kit), but if you already have some, I have a Samsung Smartthings Homekit, it is very cheap to put a wireless moisture sensor in and plug the bilge fan into a Smartthings outlet. You can easily setup a command to automatically turn the fan on when the moisture level gets to high. Or even to automatically run it for 8 hours when your sleeping/when ever the moisture level gets to high. I imagine this would extend the lift of the fans.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOIYIN...t=&hvlocphy=9011663&hvtargid=pla-320901479415

I tried using a bilge fan initially but they run at too high an RPM and was annoyingly loud. I switched it out for 4in in line duct fans and added a reostat so I could control the speed.
I have a coffin top keezer so I leave my fans on 24x7 in order to keep the coffin top at a consent temp.

Instead of bilge fan, I decided to go with computer fan build out. Used the below fan and then an auto part I found on Amazon. Combined that with power station and it works like a charm. If fan goes out, just replace it.

Used a flex coupling from Home Depot to rest the fan housing onto the 2 inch pvc piping.

Fan
Mounting Plate
Power Station

Sorry for the bad pics, but you get the idea

IMG_20170903_110757403.jpg

IMG_20170903_110800789.jpg

IMG_20170903_110808019.jpg

I regret using the internal temp control mod. It worked fine when it was a stand alone fridge, but since i built the keezer the temps have wandered around a bit... mid 30s to mid 40s! :( big pain to access the temp control now that its built... lesson learned.. USE EXTERNAL CONTROLS!!

I am planning a build for a 15cuft keezer ($75 find on CL!) and plan to use the PVC circulation scheme in this thread. I am worried that 1 fan might not cut it. I haven’t decided between bilge fan or P.C. fan, but am leaning toward the P.C. fan due to concerns about noise.

Are my fears overblown? Will 1 fan suffice to move enough air for a 44”x27” floor plan? Would I need to use a bilge fan over a P.C. fan?

Thanks in advance.

.... I haven’t decided between bilge fan or P.C.....

I'm setting up THIS PC SERVER fan on an adjustable cycle TIMER. This way I can control how long the fan is on and off.

The fan is bit loud outside the keezer but inside with the lid closed, the room has to be dead quiet, you have to be close and listen real hard to hear the fan cycle on.

I used flexible rubber PC fan mounts to help isolate the fan.

LhztfqC.jpg

I am planning a build for a 15cuft keezer ($75 find on CL!) and plan to use the PVC circulation scheme in this thread. I am worried that 1 fan might not cut it. I haven’t decided between bilge fan or P.C. fan, but am leaning toward the P.C. fan due to concerns about noise.

Are my fears overblown? Will 1 fan suffice to move enough air for a 44”x27” floor plan? Would I need to use a bilge fan over a P.C. fan?

Thanks in advance.
I went through the hassle of building this and found it completely unnecessary. Why not try it first and if you get an unacceptable amount of frost you can then add it?

I went through the hassle of building this and found it completely unnecessary. Why not try it first and if you get an unacceptable amount of frost you can then add it?

Good idea...

After some delays in construction, I got my keezer inside and setup last week.

xK9tOF8_d.jpg

It's a big one, about 15cuft. Initially I'm going with a 120mm computer fan I picked up for $4 and a voltage-adjustable power adapter that I spliced to the fan wires. We'll see if that is enough to keep up with a Houston summer.

I tried using a bilge fan initially but they run at too high an RPM and was annoyingly loud. I switched it out for 4in in line duct fans and added a reostat so I could control the speed.
I have a coffin top keezer so I leave my fans on 24x7 in order to keep the coffin top at a consent temp.

How has the fan worked out for you with the lower CFM? The fan I'm looking at buying is 47CFM. I believe I read the fan you are using is 60CFM but if you are lowering the speed, it is probably around the same CFM as the one I want.

Ok, necrothread again. But a picture's worth a thousand words, and the pictures are gone.:(
Can someone explain the PVC and wire shelf riser that dahappycamper built in the first posts? Are we moving air through PVC at the base of the keezer? Does the PVC support the wire shelf that the kegs sit on?

I'm on my own keezer build (collar + coffin) V2. V1 freezer's died, and new freezer doesn't match dimensions. Also, taking the oppurtunity to add improvements. V1 didn't have air circulation, and I struggled with both foamy pours, and moisture inside the keezer. I think air circulation (both for the kegs, and the coffin) are in order.

Back