Keezer build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some input from some of you that have built a keezer already.

So I picked up a used Haier 5 cu. ft. chest freezer for $65 on CL. It wasn't my first choice in model, but it was priced right. So the inside is pretty tight, and the only way to fit in 2 kegs is to put one on the hump, a 9" high hump! :eek: So I'm looking at a collar height of 8 inches. This barely leaves enough room for the keg height plus the fractions of an inch the disconnect rises above the keg.

I sketched it up on sketchup and it looks good... Tight but good. I'm curious if I should consider using a 1x8 instead of a 2x8 because of weight concerns on the lid spring (if I attach the collar to the lid). I figure if there's an insulation concern with the 1" I could substitute with some insulation at much less weight cost. Any thoughts or concerns with using the 1x8 with respect to insulation and/or faucet mounting?

2943059591_0d58af99d0.jpg

2943059615_eb0c478253.jpg

2943918100_8eba0c84e7.jpg

I can carb on the hump...I can NOT serve from the hump.
The Nipple on the Liquid line hits the lid...the gas line does not.

My collar is a 2x8, and it works good, but it's a real chore when you're trying to fling a 5 gallon cornie over the thing without knocking a tap handle off...or worse yet...smashing your regulator.

I can carb on the hump...I can NOT serve from the hump.
The Nipple on the Liquid line hits the lid...the gas line does not.

My collar is a 2x8, and it works good, but it's a real chore when you're trying to fling a 5 gallon cornie over the thing without knocking a tap handle off...or worse yet...smashing your regulator.
Hmm, I measured with the liquid disconnect and it looks like it might make it by 1/8". Do you have the same keezer?

Any thoughts on using the 1x8 attached to the lid instead of the 2x8 not on the lid?

Hmm, I measured with the liquid disconnect and it looks like it might make it by 1/8". Do you have the same keezer?

Any thoughts on using the 1x8 attached to the lid instead of the 2x8 not on the lid?

Let us not forget that 2x8 only measure 7" tall.

I don't have the same freezer...but the height of the sides are the same...and the same compressor hump. Also, some lids protrude DOWN a bit below the seal.

The people with the wood attached to the lid sure seem to like it.

Uhhh, 2x8's are really only 2x7??? :confused: Wow, then this won't work at all.

My measurements accounted for the lid protrusion, but not the missing inch on the 2x8.

I have 1x4's mounted to the lid of my keezer (8.8 whirlpool). The 10" may be a bit much to mount to the lid. Have you thought about attaching the collar to the base instead?

Looks like attaching the collar to the keezer body is going to be the only option. Not looking forward to hoisting those kegs up 40".

From reading other threads I've noticed that there isn't much concern in regards to insulation on the wood collars. Since I'm using 2x10 I'll be adding nearly 3cu ft to the keezer. Anyone think it warrants some extra insulation on the collar?

Back