Keezer build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiki_Jud

Reaction score
I have a used 5 cft keezer with a 2 tap tower that I bought from a friend. I want to upgrade to a wood collar with 4 taps. I plan to keep the co2 outside and need to fix the tower hole in the lid and remove the tower (gets in the way when opening) Also want to put the entire unit on heavy casters. Anyone done anything similar? Tips or hints or NO's?

Well since the lid has no coils running thru it, I suppose you could cut out a piece of foam board the same shape as the hole left by the tower, then cut a small square of wood (sealed), plastic or stainless and somehow glue or silcone that to the inside of the lid to give support to the hole you just filled, then lay laminate or vinyl sheeting on the top of the lid.

Or you could just put a foam piece in the hole, silcone it in, and lay vinyl planks (flooring), thin plywood, or even ceramic tile on the whole lid.

Or you could just remove the lid entirely and build one out of wood. Many people on here have done that..

Or you could just keep all the components and scrap the freezer and buy a new one. I have seen chest freezers go on sale recently for just over $100

I would fill the hole with expanding foam insulation from one of the Big Box stores. Once its dry, trim it and mount a a wooden board to the top of the lid to cover the insulation. Paint the board with chalk board paint then you can write what beers are on each tap.

Caster mounts are easy. I always build a small platform out of 2x4's for the keezer to sit on then you can mount casters to the base. You could always attach wood trim to the base so it looks decent.

Back