Keezer and beer line cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolupop

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the beer brewing and serving world. I have dreaming of the day I can start brewing and/or building a keezer for years. Finally I convinced my fiance to let me build a small 3 tap keezer for the wedding (in a classy way :D).

My questions are:

Does anyone know of a DIY beer line and faucet cleaning solution? I heard that bleach may leave pits in my beautiful brand new perlick 630's? and vinegar wont sanitize? (My fiance wants to keep it as organic as possible - she suggested hydrogen peroxide)

And this one might be dumb, but can I leave the regulator open at 12psi through the whole 5 gallon of beer (may take at lease a week to drink it all)? Or will it force carbonate the beer? it will be CO2 not nitrogen and CO2

Thanks for helping out this newbie

I cannot help you on the DIY beer line cleaner question, but I can say that bleach (or anything with free chlorides) will pit/corrode most stainless steels, especially 304 and 316 grade.

Im not sure what you mean by leaving the regulator open. This is a way to carbonate your beer. Leaving the reg opened to 12 psi for about a week (depending on temperature) will result in your beer having carbonation. If you could restate that part of the question, I'm sure I could be more helpful.

I usually clean my kegs w/ hit water & B-Brite then pump a gallon or so through my serving line & tap. Last I pump just hot water through the line & tap to rinse.
About every six months I use a solution of BLC to thoroughly clean my lines & I disassemble each tap for a thorough cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I hit my lines with hot water and b-brite like govner stated. I run a little sanitizer through as well. Make sure you don't neglect your taps though. You can get some nasties in there if you don't clean them regularly.

Serve the keg with the regulator set to the pressure you have determined to carbonate the beer at, based on temperature.
Use this chart to figure out what pressure http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php
beer will only take as much carbonation as you are giving it, it will not carbonate beyond whatever pressure you have the regulator set at. It has taken me months to get through some kegs fyi.

i use a beverage line cleaner. Its meant for cleaning the lines. I fill my 2.5 gallon keg with about 1 gallon of hot water and add the cleaner to it. mix it up then run it thru the lines and then leave it in the lines for about 15 min. after that i run starsan then follow up with boiled water. then its ready for a new keg.

Also when i use the cleaner i know it works real well. When i first push it thru the lines it pushes any remaining beer in there out and then runs clear. after i let it sit for 15 min and push the cleaner out of the lines it comes out yellow. the 15 min soak really gets everything out of the lines.

Thanks for all your help!

Sorry I was unclear about my second question. I have sanke "d" taps and I'm going to rent 3 1/6 gallon kegs pre filled with some domestic micro beers. I assume they come pre carbonated? So all I need to do is have the co2 regulator set at a serving pressure (12psi?)?

Back