Keeps Fermenting - Have I got a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggs1980

Reaction score
Kicked off a braggot 2 weeks ago. All recipes say it takes 12-14 days to finish. Was thinking of moving to secondary tomorrow as gravity is now 1.000 but the air lock is still going off about once every 5 minutes. I haven't got the heat on it anymore so is it still fermenting or is once every 5 minutes a good enough indicator that it's done?

One: Human time frames are irrelevant to the yeast.
Two: One burp every 5 minutes isn't much of anything.
Three: HOW are you getting the SG reading?
Four: Reason for "secondary"??

I give bigger beers enough time for the yeast to do it's jobs. That's both make alcohol and clean up after they're done. The second part can take time. Time also helps to get the yeast flocculate (depending on the strain you used, it could need more time than other strains).

IMO/IME, rushing a beer, or following someone else's time frames as gospel is a recipe for a mediocre brew.

Probably something converting the sugars that we typically consider unfermentable. Wild yeast can do this and so can some yeasts sold for beer. Was your yeast used STA-1 positive or listed as diastatic? 1.000 SG ... how did you measure that?

I've had some beers stop and start fermenting quite a few times for almost six weeks. They turned out very good. But their FG wasn't that low. I only know what a braggot is, not any particulars about making and fermenting them.

Last edited:
What little I know about mead is telling me to just let it sit a while longer. Seems like mead technique has to apply here at least a little bit.

Kicked off a braggot 2 weeks ago. All recipes say it takes 12-14 days to finish. Was thinking of moving to secondary tomorrow as gravity is now 1.000 but the air lock is still going off about once every 5 minutes. I haven't got the heat on it anymore so is it still fermenting or is once every 5 minutes a good enough indicator that it's done?
What was the original gravity? Anything much over 1 minute is most likely co2 generated by the fermentation coming out of suspension.

One: Human time frames are irrelevant to the yeast.
Two: One burp every 5 minutes isn't much of anything.
Three: HOW are you getting the SG reading?
Four: Reason for "secondary"??

I give bigger beers enough time for the yeast to do it's jobs. That's both make alcohol and clean up after they're done. The second part can take time. Time also helps to get the yeast flocculate (depending on the strain you used, it could need more time than other strains).

IMO/IME, rushing a beer, or following someone else's time frames as gospel is a recipe for a mediocre brew.
Secondary for additional flavouring

1.045 for a braggot??? 🤔 Seems rather low to me. Was this all grain or extract? How about posting the recipe (or link to it)? IMO/IME, a braggot is a BIG beer, that takes time to become good in glass.

1.045 for a braggot??? 🤔 Seems rather low to me. Was this all grain or extract? How about posting the recipe (or link to it)? IMO/IME, a braggot is a BIG beer, that takes time to become good in glass.
It must be a saison braggot.:cool:

Back