keeping your beers tasty over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
I am having issues with my beer lately and am having trouble pinpointing what is going on. Recently I have been making some really tasty brews but have been noticing sort of a progressively staling taste or the beer just seems to be getting worse over time which is the opposite of what I thought would be happening. I think I might have an idea what might be happening but I know that from reading on this forum many of you might disagree which is just fine. just trying to pinpoint what techniques I should use to avoid the gradual decline of taste of my beer over time.

What I think just might be the culprit is hot side aeration... well at least part of it. Lately over the last 8 months or so I have not been one bit careful when pouring water from my kettle into the mash tun on the initial strike as well as the sparge portion. I simply heat the water, dump it into my 10 gal homedepot cooler violently and then mix the grains. I do the same when I heat the sparge water and when I recirculate. When I do this I am fully aware of the issue of hot side aeration but just dismissed it as myth from reading around the internet about it. You read stories about breweries at a much larger scale pouring their mash water from 20 feet up and their beers turn out perfectly fine. So I thought if it's only a couple feet with my set up it shouldn't matter either. Either way ever since I started doing this I have noticed that my beers often start out not bad at all to great then after a month take a downward slide. By the way I am very careful about oxidation when I bottle my beer. I avoid splashing as much as possible.

I also might think it might be an aging thing as well. I used to think that the longer you age a beer, the better it will get with time. I recently have done a little googling and using the search function to find that the majority of beers should be consumed quickly. I also read that darker beers age well. which has me confused because a beer I recently made which tasted actually awesome 2 weeks in the bottle, has gotten that stale flavor a month later and is a fairly dark beer. kind of a dark amber and is 7.7 percent which is a somewhat big beer. It's definetely not bad. just not as amazing as it was fresh 2 weeks in the bottle.

Now take another beer that I made 2 years ago when I was newer to all grain and was very careful of hot side aeration. it was a porter at about 4.5 percent alcohol and I actually didn't touch 1/3 of the beers until a year later. At that point it was the best the beer had ever tasted and they went through many temperature changes throughout that year of aging. than again it was a dark porter and dark beers are better at aging. But still the previous beer was dark and high in alcohol.

So I guess what I'm trying to understand is, based off everyone's experience, what are a couple things you all look for when deciding when to age a beer. I know I've heard that dark beers as well as boozy beers should be aged but is that what aged beers are limited to? I know many light colored beers such as belgian golden strongs and tripels benefit from aging. I know my low gravity porter benefited quite a bit as well.

And say you're making a big beer and you went through all of the precautions to reduce off flavors such as making a big starting and keeping the fermentation temperatures under control. Would it be best to age those beers in the fridge once fully carbonated in the bottle to reduce the chance of long term oxidation? I've read this is what you want to do with just about any other beer.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Just trying to keep my beers tasty!:mug:

I'm running into the same thing. I found a 6 pack of my first brew under my desk and it tasted pretty bad, it was about 3-4 months old. The aroma was all gone and it had a strange flavor but at about 1 month of age it tasted great. I had two left in the fridge from when it was about a month old so I compared it to those and the refrigerated versions still tasted great. I'm not helping you much but at least I know that cooling the bottled beer slowed down whatever poor aging was going on.

I also bottled a brown ale which is getting better with age even though it's low in alcohol.

yeah, I think as soon as my normal gravity beers are fully carbonated I'm going to throw them into the fridge to keep them from going bad. I'm just not quite sure to do with my higher gravity (1.060 - 1.080) to ultra high gravity (1.080+) beers after carbonation. Which I tend to brew a good number of.

That's not really hot side aeration. HSA only occurs in your wort, and your brewing liquor/water isn't wort yet when you're pouring it into the mash. It mostly happens during chilling as the boil will drive off any excess oxygen and such from your wort, which is why you have to aerate it after it cools down for yeast health. In fact, Greg Noonan says in his book that some oxygen introduced into the mash can have a beneficial effect on beers as it enhances enzyme activity to an extent.

George Fix says it'd be smart not to splash around your runnings too much. Personally, I've never had a problem with HSA or staling and I'm stirring the hell out of my mash and plenty of splashing occurs when I recirculate.

Sounds like the staling you're getting is either from introducing oxygen somewhere post-boil or maybe from some sort of infection. Maybe even some minerals have changed in your water since you started brewing with it. I'd look to all your post-boil processes first before you start worrying about dumping liquor into your tun and anything like that.

And yes, once carbonated, aging in the fridge will slow down staling/oxidation or indeed the development of any off flavors in your bottles.

Ok. Thanks everyone for your input. it looks like then I'm doing everything fine in the mash than. And I am very careful to avoid splashing and disturbing the wort post fermentation. The only thing I can possibly see as accelerating any staling reactions would be when I transfer from the carboy to the bottling bucket. Every once in a while bubbles appear in the line. But I think this is just co2 coming out of solution.

Either way, would you be safer to simply put a bigger beer in the fridge once its done carbinating and age it there to prevent these staling reactions from occuring as quickly. I would think that the alcohol harshness would still mellow over time in the fridge. I would cellar my beers but I have no stable cellar temperature. The coldest I could cellar a beer in my place would beabout 60 which I think still might be a little to high for long term storage. I don't know. what do you guys think?

Ok. Thanks everyone for your input. it looks like then I'm doing everything fine in the mash than. And I am very careful to avoid splashing and disturbing the wort post fermentation. The only thing I can possibly see as accelerating any staling reactions would be when I transfer from the carboy to the bottling bucket. Every once in a while bubbles appear in the line. But I think this is just co2 coming out of solution.

Either way, would you be safer to simply put a bigger beer in the fridge once its done carbinating and age it there to prevent these staling reactions from occuring as quickly. I would think that the alcohol harshness would still mellow over time in the fridge. I would cellar my beers but I have no stable cellar temperature. The coldest I could cellar a beer in my place would beabout 60 which I think still might be a little to high for long term storage. I don't know. what do you guys think?

I think a proper diagnosis of what is actually wrong with the beer is the first step. Can you be more specific as to what you're tasting when you stay "staling?" Are you tasting the characteristic oxidation flavors of wet cardboard, paper, etc? Or, are you tasting something else? Is the flavor there immediately, within a couple of weeks, or are you talking about beer you have had around for 6-8 months. While the effects of oxidation can present themselves quickly, typically it takes a couple of months for those flavors to develop. If you're noticing these flavors within a couple of weeks, my opinion would point more to an infection than oxidation.

Either way, I query your solution of refrigerating the beer as a problem solver. Refridgerating the beer will retard the progress of the infection, but it doesn't remove the problem. Similarly, if it is oxidation, refrigeration can help slow the effects of the process, but it does not remove the underlying problem itself.

HSA is one of those "controversial" areas in brewing. However, with all due respect to the poster above, I disagree that the splashing method you described for your mash is ok. HSA is primarily a problem during the mash or post boil while your wort is waiting to cool. It can occur whenever the liquid is above 120 degrees and below 212 degrees. It occurs when oxygen disolves into the liquid, something oxygen does readily at those temperatures. Once introduced the oxygen forms chemical bonds that do not boil out (I believe the oxygen specifically bonds to lipids, but that's getting a bit into higher chemistry for me). The reason splashing during the boil itself isn't a problem with oxidation is because as the wort gets to boiling temperature at 212+ it becomes almost impossible for the oxygen to be absorbed.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of people who think HSA is a myth. I don't as I lost an initially delicious batch of RIS to oxidation after 8 months. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to how concerned they want to be re HSA. Besides, even if it is a myth why invite the boogie man into your house. :)

I'm sorry. I should have described the flavors. Well first off they're kind of hard to describe. It's not so much a flavor. I guess you can attribute the flavor to paper or cardboard but that could just be my mind telling me that based off what I've read. I guess the only way I can really describe the taste of my recent beers is that they all have just an old not very fresh taste. They start out clean, crisp and good and just tend to loose that fresh nice taste. They become harder to drink.

I tend to agree with you on the part about HSA Kelly. I definitely know that it is a very debatable subject whether or not it affects our beers or not. I'm leaning towards it not being an infection because I do make sure that I keep everything sanitized and my hoses are fairly new and I don't scrub any of my plastic equipment. However it did seem to be a matter of weeks before this beer started to get this taste. It just seems that ever since I fell into the camp about not worrying about HSA my beer seems to have have acquired a taste that makes it less drinkable over time. I'm not solely blaming it on HSA but I know that I don't think it will hurt to spend a few more moments in my brew day to be more careful. I don't know, we'll see.

Are you careful about not introducing oxygen at bottling time ?

Some beers also simply do not age well, even if they are high gravity.

HSA can certainly happen in the mash which is why a lot of breweries spend a crap ton of money wet milling under a nitrogen blanket. Now whether or not that is the problem here is questionable.

There are two issues.

1. Should beer get better over time? I say that most properly made beer is best reasonably fresh. A few beers (generally very big beers) will need months to age and generally dark beers suffer less from aging. Hops fade over time, this can be good or bad.

2. How do you keep beer? Sanitation, low oxygen pickup (I tend to think post ferment oxidation is a much bigger problem than HSA), STORE COLD. A clean english brown ale with low oxygen pickup should be fine for years in refrigeration. Any combination of microbiological problems, oxygen in the package or warm storage can reduce that to a couple of months.

And a bonus third issue is that a lot of people seem to like mildly stale beer. As evidence, look at how people expect low hop character and/or sweetness in import beers and the lengths domestic brewers will go to to make their european style beers taste like stale beer when it is fresh. If you brought back a fresh style archetype from Germany and entered it as a ringer in a competition a lot of judges would slam it because they expect a stale beer (without knowing it).

I;'m having this same problem with my Pale ale right now. It taste great after a week in the keg but now its got an alcohol taste. I have ferm temp control and made sure it didnt get above 70F . So I have no idea whats going on with it. maybe its just the type of beer that needs to be consumed quickly???

Yeah I wish I could blame it on my bottling routine but I am pretty sure that I keep any oxygen absorption to a minimum. I don't secondary so there is no chance for any oxygen to touch the wort there.

When it comes to bottling day I boil the corn sugar/water solution for 15 minutes, cool then gently pour it into the bottom of the bottling bucket down the side of the bucket to further reduce aeration. I then use an auto-siphon to transfer the beer to the bottling bucket allowing the tubing to reach all the way to the bottom of the bucket to eliminate splashing. Once the transfer is complete I take a sanitized spoon and very gently stir the beer to evenly mix the priming sugar solution (not sure if this is necessary). I then put a sanitized lid on top of the bucket to reduce the chance of oxygen contact. I guess the only thing I can really do to decrease the chance of oxygen contact during bottling any further would be to put co2 into the bucket before putting the beer in there. But even then, correct me if I'm wrong< there should be a layer of co2 the develops on top of the beer as I transfer to the bucket.

By the way I too keep my fermentation temps under control and stable. I also make starters and pitch the appropriate amount of yeast.

Eric. It's interesting too that you say that your beer develops an alcohol taste. I had one of my beers a couple nights ago and you really can almost describe the taste as some sort of an alcohol heat. Yet it wasn't there the first couple beers that I tried. I don't know. I'm just going to be more careful when I deal with the wort prior to the boil and see if there is anything I can do avoid aeration post fermentation. We'll see how it goes and I'll let you all know

Back